My current Toto Drake Issue =(

Users who are viewing this thread

scm518

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I posted about 3 months ago, and was helped by replacing the cap on my 1.5 year old Toto drake that was hissing. Now it is making a pulsating sound that varies in intensity from not at all, to quite loud. Nothing appears to make it stop, and i have put some food coloring in the tank (2 piece) - and have not seen it enter the bowl.

I did look at the rubber round piece in the replacement cap to ensure there was no debris caught in there, and the only thing i noticed what what appeard to be shrinkage of the rubber piece from what I remember putting in - although I am not sure that is the issue this time around.

I attempted to capture a video of what I saw an heard with the top of the tank off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

scm518

Reaction score
Terry,

Thank you for your speedy response.

The water level does drop so I will replace that too. Is it common that I have to replace these assembly caps often? Just replaced it a few months ago.

Sean

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you on a well? Is the chlorine level fairly high? Do you use any bleach or cleaner in the tank? Normally, the rubber parts last at least a few years. The cap is probably still under warranty (I think it's at least a year), and the flapper may be as well. But, if you use a cleaner in the bowl, that often voids the warranty. Rubber just doesn't like high chlorine or reactive chemicals. If you are on a well, you may be getting some sand or other particles that are messing with the seal and filter. If you have any galvanized piping in the supply, rust particles can cause things to not seal well. I also found that I had to replace one of mine after the city did a water main cleaning operation...the resulting stream of debris was just too much for it, even after an attempted cleaning. Are you sure that the cap is fully seated?

scm518

Reaction score
Hi jadnashua,

I am on city water - unsure about the chlorine level, and I have never put anything in the tank except a few drops of water based food coloring last week. I am sure my wife probably uses cleaner in the bowl.

As for the current corky replacement cap, I was a bit shocked when I looked at it. It appeard as if it had shrunk from what I recall a few months ago. As in it did not expand to the outer edge of the cap walls it sits in - not from a decomposition standpoint. - I think it had shrinkage =) you know - cold water... - I will try to snap a photo of it. I just bought this old house recently, so I am not 100% sure of the ins and outs of how the plumbing system works, although after a $1500 sewer line replacement this weekend, im getting some intense on the job training. Thank you for your comment

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Those fill valve open and close pretty suddenly.
If the flapper is leaking and it is constantly refilling you will get a pulsation. This may even be noticeable when running a faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks