(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: I get a continuous flow of water from the backwash drain pipe (Culligan Medallist)

Default I get a continuous flow of water from the backwash drain pipe (Culligan Medallist)

My Culligan water softener all of a sudden has continuous flow of water going through the drain pipe. Not sure what is causing this problem. I noticed this once my water bill doubled from the month previous...any ideas?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You may get more 'hits' if you post in the softener section. It sounds like the control valve is stuck. Could be the motor has died, a gear broke, or something similar. Now, why that happened may be because the valve is stuck, which jammed things up. Have you tried to force a regen and watched to see if things work?

You probably want to put this in bypass until you resolve it, or your water bill might be even more nasty next time.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014