(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pipes bang hard when cold water on full blast

Thanks for all the replies. Just thought I'd stop by and provide a follow-up.

Unfortunately, the pipe banging described in the first post was not the only problem to arise. The new faucet in the bathroom started leaking (tee assembly area), the manufactured arrestor started leaking (connection end), and the shower valve started leaking (possibly cartridge). The first plumber also installed the shower valve incorrectly, the contractor shimmed it, but the valve was still crooked. We again got in touch with the contractor who redid the bathroom, and this time he sent out a different plumber (there were actually two that came).

We had the new plumbers fix the leaky bathroom faucet, remove the hand-made arrestor, reinstall the shower valve, reset the toilet, and check the shower head. The latter two items were for peace of mind, given the problems that were happening. The new plumbers also wanted to install a different/new supply line to the toilet and a new shut off valve on the kitchen sink, to which we agreed. I also had them remove the manufactured arrestor from the kitchen sink just to see, once they were done, if the banging in the kitchen went away.

As it turns out, the shower head was installed correctly. However, the toilet was seated incorrectly by the first plumber, with the wax ring dented in and not compressed correctly, the new plumbers said. They also said that the toilet wold have leaked as well. I did overhear the new plumbers talking about why I wanted the manufactured arrestor removed from the kitchen sink (maybe they thought I was being nuts) but as it turns out, after they were done with the work, the banging and leak were gone from the kitchen.

Our suspicion is that the cause of the banging in the kitchen was due to the shower valve being crooked, but whatever the cause, the banging is now gone, no arrestors installed. Just for fun (really though this process has been anything but fun) here are a couple of pictures of the shower valve/trim before (first plumber) and after (second plumbers).

Before:
    Name:  before.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  28.9 KB

After:
    Name:  after.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  29.0 KB
    Last edited by Carri; 10-19-2010 at 07:27 PM.

******************xx
    Last edited by Thatguy; 10-20-2010 at 10:16 AM.

So with all this new information, in retrospect, was the crooked shower valve the likely cause? Or, could it have been something as simple as adding or repositioning pipe clamps?

I wouldn't be sure the banging is permanently gone until after a few days, at least.