After the meter

Users who are viewing this thread

vman

Reaction score
I have a 3 fam I'm doing over.

The service main coming from the street looks to be 3/4 and looks like it is downsize into a 5/8 meter.

Currently out the meter is 1/2 inch which is feeding 3 kitches (just sinks) and 3 full baths and 3 washers.

I want to replace the 1/2 inch. One plumber suggested 1 inch. I was just thinking of going 3/4. Does 1 inch make sense coming off of a 5/8 meter?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to run the 1in., that way if you ever have to upgrade the meter the pipe is already in the ground. It's common practice to run a 3/4in. line off a 5/8in. meter, usually the minimum size in a residential situation.

vman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So you are saying there is a possibility that 1 inch after a 5/8 meter would make sense? I thought 1 inch would be over kill and irrelavent if the main and meter were smaller?

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Wally Hays has the correct approach. This has been addressed before under a different thread BUT again adding to Wally's suggestion, distance to the building from the meter, elevation to the highest fixture from meter exit, max. fixture pressure drop plus all those items Wally mentioned unless you want to rely on a WAG.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Meter size has NOTHING to do with the water line size. That is determined by the home's fixture demand and the distance to the house. But a 5/8" meter is definitely too small for a threeplex.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks