(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Should new softener resin need to be regenerated right away?

Default Should new softener resin need to be regenerated right away?

I just installed a new softener with brand new resin out of the bag(s). It's in service and we're not really noticing any difference. I realize the hot water heater has a supply of hard water in it still, but I think we've flushed that by now. The unit has not regenerated yet though, does the resin work right out of the bag? My other thought is that since this house has been doing its thing with no softener for about 30 years, there may be a lot of mineral build-up in the pipes and water heater. Is it possible that we'll have to wait for that stuff to clean out a little before we see full effect?

That stuff will never clear out. Test your water to see what the hardness is. You may have the programming not set right or perhaps did you maybe leave the valve in bypass ?
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Definitely not in bypass. The programming could be wrong, but doesn't that just affect how often it regenerates?

The resin performs as soon as the softener is activated. The reason for regenerating a new unit is to flush the "fines" out of the resin bed since they could be small enough to escape into the water piping. Sometimes you have to take soft water "on faith", unless you have it tested, since not everyone can detect the difference in "feel" or "taste" of the water.