No water after power failure

Users who are viewing this thread

newbie33

Reaction score
I was able to drain the tank fully and try to flush any particles out of the system. THe pressure did go down on the gauge and the the valve read zero. I inflated the tank up to 38 psi and once the faucet ran the psi went back down to 20 psi. The pressure at the faucet actually got worse this time. I did notice that the tank was empty after draining. It didn't seem like it filled anymore after I inflated it to 38 psi and turned on the power. I really hear no sound such as cycling, pumping and maybe a little of the water coming from the outside pump. I'm going to try to get a voltmeter to measure the power. I didn't replace the pressure gauge. It did look like it was recording the correct pressure because it matched the tire gauge. Does the pressure gauge feedback any info to the switch? I didn't have time to get a replacement but maybe I'll buy one with a voltmeter tomorrow.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
By your information I suspect the the pressure switch cuts on at 20 lbs and off at 40 lbs. If that's true the air pressure in your tank should be 18 lbs when there is no pressure in the system and the power is off. With 38 lbs of pressure in the tank I doubt if the pump even starts because the points on the pressure switch are open. I suggest you lower the pressure in the tank and try to start the pump again. I'd still replace thepressure gauge.

newbie33

Reaction score
Thanks Porky. Does the pressure gauge feed information back to the switch or is it just there for the user to monitor the internal pressure?

newbie33

Reaction score
Thanks. I replaced the pressure gauge and that didn't solve my problem. I have one question: Is the total pressure that is built up in the tank solely dependent on the pump in the well? That the pressure switch just turns off the outside pump once the max pressure is met. Once it gets to the minimum pressure it turns the outside pump back on until the max is reached again? I just want to make sure I understand how it works. I think Valveman might have answered what my problem may be. The water is dirty whether its rust or dirt that goes away after a bit. This well was working fine until this power outage. I was outside with a garden hose which I could put my finger over the hose and stop it. The pressure was so good before I couldn't have stopped it before this outtage. I can take my finger off the hose and although the water coming out of the hose is low it will contnue to run. It actually felt warm like maybe it was draining the water out of my water heater. So, I'm guessing the pump down in the well is running (electricity usage is high) but the pressure leading up to the pressure tank is low. Like Valveman said I should check the voltage on the switch and controller. However, I'm guessing it might be to leakage in the drop pipe with the dirty water. That the pump in the well is not supplying that much of a pressure to build up in the pressure tank. That the pressure I'm getting is just coming from the continously running pump in the well. It's always supplying water but since the pressure is so low the pressure switch never turns off the pump and it barely is able to supply a very low pressure to the house. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? I'm going to borrow a voltmeter and then I'll have to fiure out what I'm going to do with the drop pipe.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pretty much yes to everything you said. But if the pump will not shut off, you should turn it off quickly. If the water is hot, so is the pump and well, which isn't good. You might turn it on when you are using it, but I would run out and turn it off when your not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks