Cutting legs on cast iron radiators

Users who are viewing this thread

linperk

Reaction score
We need to cut the legs on two radiators and I don't know what tools to use,etc. I have put new tile in kitchen and bathroom and now radiator sits too high for the connection. We tried to raise the connection, but there isn't any play. Need to hook them up ASAP so I can turn on my heat. Thank you.

frankflynn

Reaction score
A hack saw or electric reciprocating with the proper blade should be able to cut through them without trouble. But are you sure they are not hollow? That is if you cut the legs will you put a hole in the radiator (very bad)?

What kind of plumbing goes to the radiator? Can you remove the riser and replace it with a slightly longer one -- even if you could cut the legs without a problem it's probably easier to replace the riser. If it's old it could be rusted and difficult to remove but that's where I'd start. How difficult was it to remove the radiators in the first place?

linperk

Reaction score
A hack saw or electric reciprocating with the proper blade should be able to cut through them without trouble. But are you sure they are not hollow? That is if you cut the legs will you put a hole in the radiator (very bad)?

What kind of plumbing goes to the radiator? Can you remove the riser and replace it with a slightly longer one -- even if you could cut the legs without a problem it's probably easier to replace the riser. If it's old it could be rusted and difficult to remove but that's where I'd start. How difficult was it to remove the radiators in the first place?

I have steam heat. Don't know if the legs are hollow,will find out tonight. The radiators are from 1940 so the risers might be a problem. It was pretty easy to undo the radiators-the one in the kitchen was really heavy tho.
Thanks for the reply

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Steam risers will be "fused" into the elbows, and will either break, have to be cut out, or snap the elbows off and use new ones. The legs are NOT hollow. If they were, they would have "banged and banged and banged", every time the heat came on.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Are the legs on Cast Iron Radiators hollow? I have some cast Iron Rads here in Vancouver and I bet my legs are hollow. And if they are not I would wonder just where the solid material stops...

Good Luck.

Lets us know how it turns out...

Can you send any pictures of your Rads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If they were hollow, they would fill with stagnant water. The legs are usually solid up to the bottom of the radiator section, so that they do NOT retain water, especially in a steam radiator. A grinder with a cut off wheel will remove the bottom of the legs the fastest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks