add-on construction

Users who are viewing this thread

Dustin07

Reaction score
Website
www.tca-inc.net
Hi Folks,

I realize that prices can vary from location to location, as well as by parts used. but what are average construction add-on price per square foot running? I keep finding $80/sqft on the internet calculators, (roughly) but some relatives of mine just ended at $114/sqft. granted, theirs was all single level. I'd like to add a 2 story, so I'm assuming the price per sq ft will go down since I'll have almost 2 times the liveable square footage per roof and foundation footage.

I hope this isn't too vague. we've recently decided to move and are having a hard time finding another location that we like as much as ours, so our next step is investigating just adding on instead :eek:

thanks,
Dustin

EDIT: I've noticed the Pacific Northwest Presence on this forum... I should mention i'm just south of Seattle myself... :)

Last edited:

Finnegan

Reaction score
In Norther NJ you would be looking at between $125 - $200. Look to the lower end if no kitchen, higher end with kitchen.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Your numbers are probably a bit on the low side. Material availability and cost are already being effected by what happened in the Gulf.

We are just completing an addition for a kitchen and study. Our number less the kitchen cabinets, flooring, etc is over $150.00 per sq. This includes electrical, plumbing, mason, new roof, finished woodwork. It was pushed a bit by keeping with existing construction, which was brick and block. Our house only has two hollow walls in the bathrooms, all others are block and plaster. Makes for a great house to heat and AC.

I have been directly involved with construction for many years. The cost to construct new vs an addition, have no direct correlation. It is scary how apart they are can be.

I'm located in Delaware.

Paul

Dustin07

Reaction score
Website
www.tca-inc.net
I should be more specific here. thanks for your posts thus far those guys.

My relatives remodel was fairly mild, about 360sq feet. cement slab, sky lights (2), river rock siding up 24 inches along I believe about 30' of exterior. so there were some extra costs, and minimal square footage, to help bring that avg/foot up to $114. also, this is with current commodity prices, they just finished the foundation and are starting to build.

Now for mine, my biggest concern is my current house has no cement foundation, has the block and post i believe it's called. If i can, i'd like to get away with only having have to build a foundation under one side, as my entire add one will be taking the front side of my house and pushing it out 20 feet or so.

I'd like that entire add on down stairs to basically be two empty rooms (dinning and future movie/tv room) and in theory I thought it would be only a hop skip and a jump from there to move the roof line up (only on the new construction) and build two rooms above as well. although one of these would have a bathroom.

downstairs sq footage would be 640. upstairs would be whatever we could keep closest to that.

I can do my own floors and interior walls i believe. but will need plumbing, electrical and basic construction done for me. also, we are thinking about doing this in spring/summer, so I think we could do the roof as well, and outside siding/painting.

do any of these things make a change in projections?

Also, 3rd floors. If i wanted a very small 3rd floor on the addition (say 150sq foot study area) how bad a kink does this throw into the pricing?

I know these questions are all very elementary, but I figured I need to guestimate as much as possible first to figure how many square feet i can afford before I get serious about designs, contractors, architects, etc....

thanks!!
Dustin

Finnegan

Reaction score
I don't think I have anything more to offer on sq. foot price. Though, as far as trying to get the finished product at the lowest price, you might want to try pricing the work in different way. Ask for a price on everything, then for everything except the finish work (trim, floors, paint, etc.). As far as your walls, I would get some quotes before hanging and finishing that amoutn of drywall. I think you'll find that taking on the insulation and drywall portions yourself likley will not generate great cost savings. Though, you can save some money by doing the painting and trim work. Good luck.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My feeling on homeowers doing some of the work is this.
Once the shell is up, plumbed, wired and insulated, it's time to bring in someone else the do the drywall and wrap it all up.

By the time it's ready for drywall, most people are just worn out, and with interest payments and all, it's just time to finish up an get your Move On.

Dustin07

Reaction score
Website
www.tca-inc.net
Terry said:
My feeling on homeowers doing some of the work is this.
Once the shell is up, plumbed, wired and insulated, it's time to bring in someone else the do the drywall and wrap it all up.

By the time it's ready for drywall, most people are just worn out, and with interest payments and all, it's just time to finish up an get your Move On.
Unfortunately my only real experience at this point is those interior finishing items. What I'll probably end up doing is getting an estimate for a complete project, and watch along the way for areas that I can confidently finish myself. I know most people seem to dislike this approach, but I could not have the things I do have if I paid someone else to do everything for me. Knowing that keeps me motivated. afterall, the money I saved on labor installing my floors myself bought my new plasma t.v. :)

we'll see how it all goes, thanks for your responses and time!!
D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks