Replace old galvanized supply line from well

Users who are viewing this thread

Stude60

Retired pipefitter
Reaction score
I am not sure if this should be here or in the well section. I will start here. I have a 30 year old 1 inch galvanized water line from my well casing to my house. I just replaced the pump and drop line today using black poly. Now I am looking at the hard job. I have had this idea for replacing it for some time
and I thought I would run it by some pro's. First I was thinking that I would dig down to the pitless adapter, and clear out a sizeable area. I would break the union from there to the house. Then I was planing to go into the basement, and putting a 36 inch pipe wrench on the pipe and turning it in the ground. If I can get it to turn freely in that bore, I was planning on going back outside and screwing a barbed fitting on that end. I was then going to put black poly pipe on the barb and go back inside and try to rotate and pull the poly pipe through to the basement. Does anyone besides me think this may work ? Before you think I am nuts for just not digging a new trench, I should tell you that this line runs under structure and concrete for most of its run.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
How long is the pipe? Hopefully less than 20'

The turning part might be doable, but the pulling part might require some mechanical rigging. Going to 3/4 poly may help on the pull.

1" poly with a hose clamp on it is bigger than 1" galv. You would have to use crimp clamps that are flush.

Maybe a few holes at the end of the 1" galv and a water inlet setup to lubricate and ream 'jet' the hole as you pull. I would devise a hydraulic jacking or come along type rig for the pull.

But if its not leaking it might last a lot longer.

Perhaps 3/4" PEX would fit INSIDE the 1" galv. That would be overall easier and safer than the risk of getting stuck in the pull.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've rented a boring machine with compressor when I needed to punch a hole under a driveway for a water line.
After you have bored the hole, you can slide new pipe in the hole.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I think we need the length before making a call.

If he can get it out, he could jet in a new one, granted with a mess in his basement.

The guy is a pipefitter - a 3 or 4' wrench with another 3 feet of cheater pipe on it can do miracles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks