Drippy (Toto) Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

AQBill

Reaction score
At long last I have bitten the bullet and started replacing my old toilets with some nice Toto Drakes. The first installation went along swimmingly and all was working well until I noticed a drips on the floor immediately below one of the tank connection screws. Well I undid everything and pulled off the tank to check things out and put it back together with a little dab of silicone caulk between the rubber washer and the tank. Long story short is that I put it all back together and it still drips under that same screw.
Any ideas out there? This is pretty frustrating but I'm retired and have time to do this right!:confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry recommends that before the tank bolts are inserted you use emery cloth and sand the tank surface around the bolt holes. This is to remove any possible rough spots in the surface that might prevent a good seal. I do not think the silicone was a good idea. This is not a time consuming task, it only takes a few seconds to knock any high spots down. I'd remove the tank bolts and sand the surface of the tank, and clean the washers off to get rid of that silicone. There is a post showing this process somewhere in this section. Terry may reprint it for you.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...oto-Drake-CST744-or-CST454CEFG-2-piece-toilet

Sometimes the large nut on the bottom of the tank needs snugging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check the order of assembly for the screws holding the tank on.

The screw should have a rubber washer under the head then be inserted through the tank.
On the bottom of the tank there should be a metal washer then the nut.

Finally when the tank is connected to the bowl another washer is used with a nut.

If you put a metal washer on the screw then the rubber washer leakage is almost guaranteed.

AQBill

Reaction score
So, Redwood, there's supposed to be two nuts and washers on the tank screws... That's not what is shown on the installation instructions nor are there extra nuts and washers with the install kit. Yours does sound like a much better setup and should seal better. Many thanks!

Check the order of assembly for the screws holding the tank on.

The screw should have a rubber washer under the head then be inserted through the tank.
On the bottom of the tank there should be a metal washer then the nut.

Finally when the tank is connected to the bowl another washer is used with a nut.

If you put a metal washer on the screw then the rubber washer leakage is almost guaranteed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen a tank with only two nuts and washers for years.
They must have dragged yours out of some dusty storage somewhere.

AQBill

Reaction score
OK! I'm hoping the 4th time's the charm. The tank attachment bolts now have two sets of washers and I bought a really big Channel Lock (16") to tighten up the flush valve now we'll see what happens! Any advice on trimming up the floor to bowl seam? I've tried the pre-made, folded, adhesive strips and they don't look right at all... Many thanks for all your help. Now on to 2nd Drake upstairs. That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Any advice on trimming up the floor to bowl seam?

Phenoseal or, Polyseamseal caulk...

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And a wet sponge and finger.

Smooth the caulk with a wet finger and wipe any excess off your finger on to the sponge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks