Non standard cast iron pipe size leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you have old cast iron pipe, it's sometimes better to use a copper by cast iron mission coupling.

orton_coupling.jpg

A standard no-hub coupling with old cast iron pipe. This should have been a:
copper sized mission coupling by new cast iron.

Last edited:

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry gave me this exact tip quite a while ago and it was exactly what I needed and used to connect a new piece of PVC to old cast iron section. I had some std 4" banded connectors and they did not fit the smaller OD of the old cast iron without deforming. I got the copper to pvc version and it fit perfect. I ordered it from an online supplier and had it in a day or two..........I have another connection in my basement I made using the std clamps to mate PVC to the same C.I. and it fit pretty well. Shows you the old cast is not very consistant on the O.D. and you need to use the banded clamp that fits right to make a secure connection.......the copper to pvc clamp works for smaller od C.I.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why would he want to use a 4" coupling for 3" pipe? The number for 3" plastic to CI, which is NOT XH cast iron, is 3000-33. You may have gone to a "big plumbing supply house", but you did NOT talk to a knowledgable counter man.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
CK-33 Mission for 3" pipe PVC to copper

CK-44 Mission for 4" pipe PVC to copper

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks