Kitchen Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Hey guys, I've found conflicting advice about ABS and it's UV resistance, and I have a situation where my kitchen drain goes into my basement (which I can access) and out through the house wall just above the concrete knee wall, then 90degree elbow into the ground to connect to the sewer down the line. This pipe is all 2" steel.

It's leaking on the outside of the house where the top part of the elbow connects to the drain coming from inside the house. The elbow is actually partially inside the belly band on the house so some water is leaking into the basement. I would like to replace, and when I plumbed the kitchen I used ABS and one of those rubber couplings to connect to the steel drain pipes, I'd like to continue the ABS right to the drain on the outside of the house.

My question here is can I use ABS and another one of those rubber couplings to protrude from my house knowing it will be exposed to daylight? Should I just wrap it in something post install?

i can send photo if that helps.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
the ABS is probably uv resistant ( the black color probably comes from carbon black) but the rubber should be protected from UV rays. Might as well paint the pipe as well.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The "rubber" (actually neoprene) sleeve should not be used above ground. Above ground you should use a banded coupler which is similar but has a stainless steel band over the entire sleeve as opposed to the two hose clamps on the former.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks