New Boiler - pipes keep leaking...help

Users who are viewing this thread

Benj

Reaction score
I had a boiler installed almost a year ago. The house is nearly 80 years old and this is the first boiler replacement...cast iron in the old one rusted through and cracked.

The new one was installed with 1 1/4" black metal pipe. A lot of off the shelf nipples were used and a bunch of pipes were cut and threaded on site. They used a blue pipe dope, not sure which one, but I've had many leaks since the installation. The company who installed it has been back 4 or 5 times, several times taking half the new pipes apart and putting them back together with bigger wrenches. The last couple times they've used teflon tape and pipe dope but still some are leaking.

The water pressure is about 18 pounds.

Any suggestions?

MAoilTech

Reaction score
Sound like the pipe thread die was no good or they do not know how to thread pipe did they use pre-treaded pipe at all if so are they leaking too?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Something is wrong if they develop leaks after install, especially in numerous joints.

I used the blue dope because it is more "gasket like" and more forgiving. Now I use regular grey/white dope along with tape. I have since learned to do it this way and just about never get leaks.

If they are pros then I would guess they should know how to properly dope up the threads. It may be as mentioned that the threads where bad, either on the ones they made on site or the premade....lots of pipe and fittings from CHINA.

Got any pics?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks