oil furnace problems

Users who are viewing this thread

jaycafe

Reaction score
I have an issue with my furnace not turning off. It will start fine, at the desired temp, but the blower won't stop (only sometimes it stops). I usually have to go downstairs and turn off the power to the furnace for 10 minutes, then the blower seams to reset itself. I do have an electronic thermostat thats only 2 years old and has fresh batteries.
Is there a relay or somthing, that is screwing things up?
Any help would be great!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have an issue with my furnace not turning off. It will start fine, at the desired temp, but the blower won't stop (only sometimes it stops). I usually have to go downstairs and turn off the power to the furnace for 10 minutes, then the blower seams to reset itself. I do have an electronic thermostat thats only 2 years old and has fresh batteries.
Is there a relay or somthing, that is screwing things up?
Any help would be great!
Please post a schematic.
For intermittent problems I'd check for loose connections.
You can also check for Technical Service Bulletins that the manufacturer may have issued regarding this problem.
Do you have a multimeter?

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Many hot air furnaces control the air-handler with a snap-disc type thermostat on/near the heat exchanger, which should be turning off the contactor/relay for the blower motor once it has cooled. They sometimes get sticky and need replacement. A weak contactor spring or sticky contacts could also have this symptom if the current for the blower motor provides sufficient make-force once it's on that the spring can't break the contact, in which case turning off the power would sometimes be necessary to get it to release.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks