Removing and replacing tub faucet stem

Users who are viewing this thread

jono

Reaction score
I have a Kohler hot water stem leaking, running back "down" the stem, into the flange, past the tile, into the wall then to the kitchen ceiling. I've found the replacement (picture hopefully attached), handle and flange are off, NOW--it looks like I could wrench on the chrome exposed end if I use some protective tape, but my helper says I HAVE to buy a "tub faucet socket" that goes through the wall to the brass fitting on the base of the stem. The tile opening doesn't appear like it would accept the socket.... Who's gonna win this? Also, teflon tape or paste?

Attachments

• kohlerhotstem.jpg
    kohlerhotstem.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,967

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Kohler faucet

Buy the socket and use it.
Use a sharp small chisel or screwdriver and nibble at the opening till you can get the socket on the faucet. Don't forget to lub the stem and o-rings.
When finished, fill the space around the stem assembly with plumbers putty and reinstall the escutcheon and then wipe some DAP or POLYSEAMSEAL. Its easy to clean up. I don't like silicone calk as it is hard to clean and leaves a mess.

jono

Reaction score
tub faucet socket shorter than stem

The tub faucet sockets are all shorter than stem. Is that why Kohler molded a wrench fitting into the chrome end?? Thee ever helpful hardware man said I should just use the chrome end to loosen and tighten. NOW what???

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Kohler

Your hardware man does not know what a tub faucet socket is. We're not talking about a socket wrench
Try a good plumbing store. You don't expect a lot of help from a hardware.
They are like a spark plug wrench and they come in different sizes. Each end is a different size.......Should not be a problem.......

jono

Reaction score
Tub Faucet Socket Choices

I guess I should have said that this store had a set of five double ended different sized "Tub Faucet Sockets", and also had individual sized double ended "Tub Faucet Socket" selections if you want to buy just the size you need.
The problem is the actual stem is just a tad over 4" long, not including the threaded base. The sockets (at least the ones I am finding) are used by inserting a rod/screwdriver through two holes bored at the end so you can turn and torque. Because of its length, this particular stem won't allow you to insert a rod/screwdriver. The stem and the sockets are roughly about the same length. These were not deep well rachet sockets, they are marked for this specific purpose.

I guess I can try another store to see if they have even longer ones? Do you know if there are longer ones available?

Thanks
for all your input so far--everything's easy if 'ya got the right tools, huh?.

jono

tub-sockets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
faucet

Just leave the rod out and use a large cresent wrench or a channel lock or adjustable pliers. With the proper socket it should not be a problem' Just do it!!

jono

Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta hit me over the head

What a concept--thinking outside the box...or socket! VOILA! THIS WILL WORK! Two heads, or one really good one...maybe that's why I'm a junior member. Thanks!!!!

...and now she tells me "we" are going to regrout and recaulk, thankfully this is the second bath....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks