Kohler K-401 Mixing valve, Cartridge Repair or Replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Petercat

Reaction score
This excellent YouTube video, posted in 2020, will answer a lot of questions, including a two-wrench trick for removing the cartridge.

Petercat

Reaction score
This excellent YouTube video, posted in 2020, will answer a lot of questions, including a two-wrench trick for removing the cartridge.

I added a comment to this video that describes the wax motor at the heart of the Kohler thermostatic valve. Here is an excerpt:

There is car thermostat shown at 7:00 in the video. The springs do not respond to temperature. Rather, the thermostat contains a "wax motor" (https://www.coolcatcorp.com/thermostats/Wax Thermostats.html). The wax is incompressible, but expands when it melts, pushing a pin.

I learned about wax motors when I spent a brief stint as an appliance repairman. A wax motor is used inside a dishwasher to operate a soap dish door when an internal heater is activated to melt the wax (
). A wax motor is low cost, generates in irresistable force, is very reliable, and should operate hundreds of thousands of cycles.

In the Kohler video, from 4:55 to 5:10, the wax motor in the thermostatic valve is shown. The wax expands when it melts, pushing the pin and compressing the spring.

Here is an excerpt from the description of a Crosswater thermostatic valve that looks to be identical to the Kohler (https://www.fruugo.us/thermostatic-...rosswater-gr-05t-sol-assy/p-10229921-21509092)

"A wax capsule can be found inside the Crosswater GP0012174 / RV1102RC. The capsule is responsible for water temperature regulation by counterbalancing the flow of hot and cold water to generate a preferable temperature."

Why does the Kohler cartridge fail? I'm not sure. Does the wax motor pin get stuck due to deposits or metal corrosion?

Peterf6

Reaction score
I added a comment to this video that describes the wax motor at the heart of the Kohler thermostatic valve. Here is an excerpt:

There is car thermostat shown at 7:00 in the video. The springs do not respond to temperature. Rather, the thermostat contains a "wax motor" (https://www.coolcatcorp.com/thermostats/Wax Thermostats.html). The wax is incompressible, but expands when it melts, pushing a pin.

I learned about wax motors when I spent a brief stint as an appliance repairman. A wax motor is used inside a dishwasher to operate a soap dish door when an internal heater is activated to melt the wax (
). A wax motor is low cost, generates in irresistable force, is very reliable, and should operate hundreds of thousands of cycles.

In the Kohler video, from 4:55 to 5:10, the wax motor in the thermostatic valve is shown. The wax expands when it melts, pushing the pin and compressing the spring.

Here is an excerpt from the description of a Crosswater thermostatic valve that looks to be identical to the Kohler (https://www.fruugo.us/thermostatic-...rosswater-gr-05t-sol-assy/p-10229921-21509092)

"A wax capsule can be found inside the Crosswater GP0012174 / RV1102RC. The capsule is responsible for water temperature regulation by counterbalancing the flow of hot and cold water to generate a preferable temperature."

Why does the Kohler cartridge fail? I'm not sure. Does the wax motor pin get stuck due to deposits or metal corrosion?
Since these posts the mixing Cartridge has become discontinued, so I'm going to try the cleaning trick from @tbr220. Either way, I have to get it out, and there is one part I can't seem to disassemble. Under the cap is a cover that is screwed on. If I remove that, I see the temperature set mechanism, which is plastic. Behind that is a sleeve that I can unscrew, but it runs into the plastic piece. Any ideas on removing the plastic so I can get to the Cartridge itself?

IMG_2320.jpg
IMG_2322.jpg
IMG_2321.jpg

Kulig

Reaction score
Got K-2975-KS-NA no maintenance after 3 years of using, just cleaning rain shower and body sprays screens once a year

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks