New kitchen...older drain...I need to vent!

Users who are viewing this thread

rberken

Reaction score
New cabinets installed, new flooring, took opportunity to look at old drainage. Bottom line, there appears to be a very slow leak at galvanized/pvc threads right below floor (or above basement ceiling...take your pick) and against outside wall. Musty odor and moist/semi moist "dirt" are my indicators.

Bottom line? I'd like to cut out the old stuff at castiron, leaving copper? vent/vent(s), then redo drain to main stack.

2 Sinks drain via loopy,twisty,ferncled pvc and wye together before entering wall and connecting to castiron. Dishwasher has its own "open top", pvc drainage pipe that also enters wall and connects to cast...appears to have its own vent (both are below a window, so I assume they travel horizontally toward a nearby laundry room to vent.....)

Is it possible to simply cut old stuff out at copper vent pipe(s), then bring the vents into area under sink to a new drain? Then I could redo the labrynth of tubes that currently exist and hopefully consolidate some things (dishwasher, disposer) while still venting gases???

NEW INFO: was not a leak at threads, but rather, lack of ANY adhesive on PVC....I'm guessing prior owner primed PVC and forgot to glue! Still interested in any "takes" RE: venting options. Could I vent with a "y", angle up to vent?

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
vent

take this question to the general plumbing category and someone will set you straight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks