Return line Injection Well

Users who are viewing this thread

NormanWell

Reaction score
My static water level for my injection well for geothermal is at the 150 feet mark. THis means that I have a vacuum in my line after my bell&gossett flow control valve. This is fine, but am I getting minerals coming out of solution in the return line? Should I worry about it? Can I but a back pressure valve in the return line so that I get zero pressure at the flow valve instead of a vacuum?

Thanks,
NormanWell

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Sounds interesting - you are heating with ground water? why would a vacuum give you minerals? How about some more info?

NormanWell

Reaction score
Ok,

After my control valve the water runs down to the injection well which is 150 feet deep. This is more than 32 feet above the surface of the water level in the well. So I have a 32 feet columb of water up the pipe and the rest with no air in it. (the end of the pipe is under water). Thus, I have 118 feet of vacuum. If my water level in the well was less that 30 feet from the surface, I would not have a vacuum. Now that I have almost a pure vacuum, the steam table show that water will evaporate at 78 degrees at this vacuum level. With the water return temp at 82 degrees, the water is vaporizing in the pipe. This causes the loss of vacuum which causes the water in the pipe at the 32 foot mark to drop. How far it drops depends on the temperature of the the water and the vacuum level. The problem with this is I am loosing vacuum and this helps reduce the amount of pumping energy. What I think I need to do, is install a pressure relief valve at the 32 foot mark and set it to hold back enough pressure to see a 5 pound pressure at the control valve. This will keep the pipe full and get back my 32 foot of water. However, the valve placement as to be right. It must be placed so that there is always water on the discharge side, never the vacuum. If not, you are back in the same boat. I am thinking that what ever pressure you set the relief valve too, is the amount of lift the pump must pump. The total head would be the lift, any system pressure and pipe friction.

Vacuum gives you minerals because all the water is vaporized and you are left with the stuff. This stuff is what I am not sure will desolve again once it hits the well. Also, the fact that I am vaporizing then loosing vacuum, may indicate that I might just have a lower water columb with no vaporizing. As the water cools, the water columb rises.

Bottom line, I am not sure this will work.

Thanks,

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a thought, would installing a vaccum breaker (similar to ones used on irrigation systems in some jurisdictions) help?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks