closed thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

rightlane

Reaction score
Wow, I feel privileged to have started a thread needing to be closed! That said, I've promised my wife that we would make a habit of buying quality products for replacement issues, and after most likely having multiple issues with the low end sears softener, will be upgrading. I've got one inch plumbing, a house with a wife, 2 growing girls, a pool that fills off of the softener, a dishwasher that runs @ every 3 days, a clothes washer, toilets, showers, sinks, and an icemaker in the fridge to supply! What would be your recommendation for brand, size and ballpark price? And are there any drawbacks to running potassium instead of salt? thanks for all your replies. Chris

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on the water test with the iron, hardness .. a Fleck Twin 9100 with 1.5 cubic in each tank might be the way to go.
You might have a dealer around you that could sell you one and put it in your self if you can do the work.

I know that one of the suppliers that I use is in Arizona..

Could be in the 2k range.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I assume AK is suggesting a twin tank softener because you use softened water to fill your pool.

You can buy a 1.5 cubic foot/per tank Fleck 9100 SXT softener complete and delivered from an internet supplier for $950 +/-.

Potassium chloride is much more expensive than sodium chloride on a per pound basis and you need to use more per unit of hardness removed.
The amount of sodium added at typical hardness levels is small relative to the sodium content of common foods so for most people it is not a health concern.

rightlane

Reaction score
The auto-fill is soft water for the pool. which means water splashed out or evaporated is replaced. small volume i assume.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely, not sure what kind of settings are used for auto fill on the pools... Pools in alaska are not in every back yard....

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
The size of softener you need will be partially determined by your water analysis so you need to post that to get informed advice about the size.

If you only use small amounts at a time for the pool then a Fleck 7000 would probably meet your needs. In a 1.5 cubic foot unit the internet price for that unit is $550 +/- delivered.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think I would probably have a by pass installed for the pool auto fill. Fleck or Clack would be my choice. A metered demand valve will save you better salt efficiency.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it true that the harder the water the easier to do the chem balance on the pool water?

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Is it true that the harder the water the easier to do the chem balance on the pool water?

A typical vinyl pool would have 200 PPM calcium. A concrete or plaster pool would typically have more. It is all about "balance"--to achieve a situation where the water doesn't tend to etch minerals from what it comes in contact with but also doesn't tend to precipitate minerals.

To a degree there is a trade off (balancing) with other important parameters--pH, alkalinity, and total chlorine, temperature and TDS.

rightlane

Reaction score
what would a bypass for the pool do?

A typical vinyl pool would have 200 PPM calcium. A concrete or plaster pool would typically have more. It is all about "balance"--to achieve a situation where the water doesn't tend to etch minerals from what it comes in contact with but also doesn't tend to precipitate minerals.

To a degree there is a trade off (balancing) with other important parameters--pH, alkalinity, and total chlorine, temperature and TDS.

rightlane

Reaction score
the auto fill is @ 60 ft under concrete away from the closest hard water source, so that option is out. i actually prefer having soft water for the pool, i definitely use less chemicals with it. thanks for all your input. the bypass off of the sears, will that work for other softeners or will the new one come with it's own model specific?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Sears bypass will not work on any of the Fleck valve that we have been talking about, so you would need to get a bypass with the unit and a yoke of either 1" or 3/4" depending on the pipe that you are dealing with.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
will the new one come with it's own model specific?

The prices I posted earlier in the thread included a bypass. With Fleck valves you have a choice of using a yoke (a connection only) or a bypass which incorporates a valve along with connections.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO pool company that I have ever heard of recommends soft water into a swimming pool. It will "dissolve" the plaster finish. The evaporation is also substantial during the summer months.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks