(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Any experience with Cadet FloWise 1.1 GPF Pressure Assist?

Default Any experience with Cadet FloWise 1.1 GPF Pressure Assist?

This American Standard toilet popped up on my radar while searching for a toilet to replace an old Kohler gravity model. I am not a big fan of the pressure-assisted models, but I have owned a Kohler Highline 1.1 gallon model for two years and am extremely satisfied.

I'm not dead-set on this American Standard toilet, but rather curious if it is any good. Has anyone had any experience using this one gallon American Standard toilet? Thanks
    Last edited by Terry; 09-30-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Personally, I see no good reason to own a pressure assisted toilet and wouldn't have one in my home. No other comment on that toilet, as I've not used one.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Kohler also uses the Flushmate 1.1 gallon flush.
    If you liked the Kohler, odds are that the Flowise will work for you too.

Thank you for your advice jadnashua and Terry. If the noise on the AS model isn't an issue, I might take my chances considering it works on the same system as the Kohler.

As I have stated often...I am a big proponent of pressure assisted. Mine is almost 19 years old. It is 1.6; I have not used a 1.1

I don't claim to have the professional experience that Jimbo possesses, but pressure assisted toilets were an effort to make a poorly designed low flow toilet function. They are loud, they tend to shred paper without totally flushing it, and they are super expensive to repair. To top it off, they are totally unnecessary with a properly engineered toilet. Toto doesn't even make a pressure assisted toilet.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gary,
    They both have their places. While I prefer the Gravity with 3" flush valve, there are places where the Pressure Assist works fine. Some of it is what the owner likes. I have some customers that like the whoosh; they feel like they are getting their money's worth. Some customers like the more subtle flush of the gravity.
    Noise levels measured with a sound meter may be fairly similar now, depending on the bowl. The sound curves are a bit different. The pressure assist starts off with high pressure that drops off. Gravity tends to build throughout the flush sequence.
    I find that while I sell both, I do sell more of the gravity's.

On an different note, on my Toyota Highlander, the high fan settings are pretty loud, which from my engineering sense only makes sense if they "want" it louder to people will know that they are "using" the high setting.
    They can fans that move air with very little noise, but for some people, they like to know by their ears what the settings are.
    I'm a quiet fan guy myself. An almost silent ride would be nice for me, then if I turn on the music, the two aren't fighting it out.
    The windshield on the Highlander is extra thick to silence the wind. It's pretty quiet at speed.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-01-2010 at 10:56 AM.