(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regen Draw time ??

The OP has never posted his water analysis. He has also posted contradictory information about the size of the softener. He has never posted the capacity programmed in the unit. How can anyone make informed judgements and recommendations without knowing the water analysis and size of the softener?

Statements like "Your programming is way off." and "I said the 8 minutes of refill is not sufficient salt lbs/volume to regenerate your K of capacity." are just a lot of hot air without the water analysis, size of softener and the programmed capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    The OP has never posted his water analysis. He has also posted contradictory information about the size of the softener. He has never posted the capacity programmed in the unit. How can anyone make informed judgements and recommendations without knowing the water analysis and size of the softener?

Statements like "Your programming is way off." and "I said the 8 minutes of refill is not sufficient salt lbs/volume to regenerate your K of capacity." are just a lot of hot air without the water analysis, size of softener and the programmed capacity.
    He stated 1.5 cuft and 40K. 8 minutes refill is not sufficient salt in lbs to regenerate 40K in a 1.5 cuft or a 40K 1.25 cuft softener. That makes his programming way off, incorrect, wrong for either a 1.25 or 1.5 cuft softener.

And to come up with the math to prove that you do not need to know anything about the water analysis or how many people are in the house etc.. all you need is the volume of resin and the lbs of salt used and you have the K of capacity. In this case the refill minutes = x lbs of salt.

His slow rinse/brine draw time is way low at 25 minutes.

Here's what he said in his first post, #1 in the thread.
    Regen Draw time ??

I have a clack EE with 1.5 ft3 high capacity resin.
    1 person household, but I bought a 40000 grain unit to size for the house.
    water usage is 30 gpd. (5700 gal/6 months)

My ? is I have seen a 60 min draw time used by most posters here- My brine tank is empty 15 min into the "Draw" cycle. Does the resin need the rest of the 60 min to regen, or can I set my draw time to 15 min?

my times are:
    13 min backwash
    25 min draw
    10 min backwash
    15 min rinse
    8 min fill

Set to regen every 1500 gallons of water use- I know this regens the resin every 50 days- but weekly or bi-weekly would be a waste of salt and water.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    He stated 1.5 cuft and 40K. 8 minutes refill is not sufficient salt in lbs to regenerate 40K in a 1.5 cuft or a 40K 1.25 cuft softener. That makes his programming way off, incorrect, wrong for either a 1.25 or 1.5 cuft softener.

And to come up with the math to prove that you do not need to know anything about the water analysis or how many people are in the house etc.. all you need is the volume of resin and the lbs of salt used and you have the K of capacity. In this case the refill minutes = x lbs of salt.

His slow rinse/brine draw time is way low at 25 minutes.

Here's what he said in his first post, #1 in the thread.
    Regen Draw time ??
    I have a clack EE with 1.5 ft3 high capacity resin.
    1 person household, but I bought a 40000 grain unit to size for the house.
    water usage is 30 gpd. (5700 gal/6 months)

My ? is I have seen a 60 min draw time used by most posters here- My brine tank is empty 15 min into the "Draw" cycle. Does the resin need the rest of the 60 min to regen, or can I set my draw time to 15 min?

my times are:
    13 min backwash
    25 min draw
    10 min backwash
    15 min rinse
    8 min fill

Set to regen every 1500 gallons of water use- I know this regens the resin every 50 days- but weekly or bi-weekly would be a waste of salt and water.
    Thank you for reinforcing my point. He said he has a 1.5 cubic foot unit--a 40,000 grain unit--clearly contradictory.

He never posted the capacity setting in the control.

He never posted the water analysis.

I agree that the 25 minute "draw" (if it in fact refers to brining/slow rinse) is too short.

Thank you for reinforcing my point. He said he has a 1.5 cubic foot unit--a 40,000 grain unit--clearly contradictory.
    I don't see how I'm reinforcing your point, your point has no basis in fact.

And his statement is not contradictory if you have experience and understand how prospective customers and customers talk about softeners, which I do.

He or I can program a 1.5 cuft at 40K but his 8 minutes refill won't get the required number of lbs of salt, so he can't get 40k, as I told him and you. You seem to be unable to understand that though. Personally I think you just want to pick at things I say but, maybe you really don't understand because of a lack of knowledge or experience?

He never posted the capacity setting in the control.

He never posted the water analysis.
    ummm I think the 40K is the capacity he wants to use but OK, why do you mistakenly think he has to post the K of capacity and his water analysis data for you to answer his question and caution him about something you see as wrong; such as 25 or 15 minutes of slow rinse/brine draw which was his question: My ? is I have seen a 60 min draw time used by most posters here- My brine tank is empty 15 min into the "Draw" cycle. Does the resin need the rest of the 60 min to regen, or can I set my draw time to 15 min? )?

I agree that the 25 minute "draw" (if it in fact refers to brining/slow rinse) is too short.
    Now Bob.... if you had any experience in dealing with the 'I wanna buy a softener' or 'I just bought a softener and I...' public, you wouldn't be so picky as to how they say or identify something they don't fully understand, like the word "draw", but I do and can tell you he means slow rinse/brine draw that his Clack shows on the display as Brining. Now we can get into why he would see Brining on his display and call it "draw" if you want to but I think you already know why.AC
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I don't see how I'm reinforcing your point, your point has no basis in fact.

And his statement is not contradictory if you have experience and understand how prospective customers and customers talk about softeners, which I do.

He or I can program a 1.5 cuft at 40K but his 8 minutes refill won't get the required number of lbs of salt, so he can't get 40k, as I told him and you. You seem to be unable to understand that though. Personally I think you just want to pick at things I say but, maybe you really don't understand because of a lack of knowledge or experience?

ummm I think the 40K is the capacity he wants to use but OK, why do you mistakenly think he has to post the K of capacity and his water analysis data for you to answer his question and caution him about something you see as wrong; such as 25 or 15 minutes of slow rinse/brine draw which was his question: My ? is I have seen a 60 min draw time used by most posters here- My brine tank is empty 15 min into the "Draw" cycle. Does the resin need the rest of the 60 min to regen, or can I set my draw time to 15 min? )?

Now Bob.... if you had any experience in dealing with the 'I wanna buy a softener' or 'I just bought a softener and I...' public, you wouldn't be so picky as to how they say or identify something they don't fully understand, like the word "draw", but I do and can tell you he means slow rinse/brine draw that his Clack shows on the display as Brining. Now we can get into why he would see Brining on his display and call it "draw" if you want to but I think you already know why.AC

Well another bashing post but one devoid of facts and on point information. Rather you repeatedly refer to your "experience" selling softeners (from a no fixed address mobile home). Not a credential that I consider of much value! But certainly you are free to make what ever claims you want to make about your self proclaimed expertise secure in the knoweldge that on the internet there is no way to validate or disprove such claims.

I said: "He said he has a 1.5 cubic foot unit--a 40,000 grain unit--clearly contradictory." I was correct.

I said: "He never posted the capacity setting in the control." I was correct.

I said: "He never posted the water analysis." I was correct.

I move that this thread be closed. The OP is long gone.
    Last edited by Bob999; 10-14-2010 at 07:38 AM.