outdoor soffit lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

picapiedra

Reaction score
I have bough from H.D. a Commercial Electric Outdoor Soffit Lighting, retrofit kit 6 pack. 4 inches outdoor soffit kit. C2 545898.

The problem that i have is:
the remodel CLIP is too short to hold the housing can against the soffit. I believe that the clips will do OK in a ceiling with drywall..BUT...my soffit is 1/8 inch and the pots seems very loose.

Is any way to have a "longer" clips that will hold the housing cans or any other way to have this installation more rigid?

I live in Canada..i am concern about a strong wind could rip the pot lights.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately you bought this as a kit. Otherwise I'd just tell you to return the remodel cans, pull out the soffit, and install new construction cans which would really be the best way to go.

Alternately drill four small holes thru the can just a hair above where the soffit will be. Install the can and then install four screws thru the holes you just drilled that will extend an inch or so over the soffit to hold the can in place. Essentially you are trying to pinch the soffit between the lip of the can and the screw.

Oh and bees seem to love building nests inside cans in a soffit so you are using an open trim watch you fingers when relamping in the summer.

-rick

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Unfortunately you bought this as a kit. Otherwise I'd just tell you to return the remodel cans, pull out the soffit, and install new construction cans which would really be the best way to go.
OK, I have to ask:
Seriously? You think ripping out the soffit and installing new work cans would be "best"?

My advice is to return the CE junk and get Halo or another quality name brand. I know for fact that Halo H99RT cans will work fine in your situation Pedrito.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
qquote; Otherwise I'd just tell you to return the remodel cans, pull out the soffit, and install new construction cans which would really be the best way to go.

"The best way to go"? That is like saying that if you cannot find the tires you like, just scrap the car and buy a new one.

picapiedra

Reaction score
I strongly believe that H.D. as the manufacture those pot lights, they should have a longer clips so that it can stay firmly. As stated in their box..it suppose to be an outdoor SOFFIT lighting.

What i have found in other forums....electric contractors placed a 1/4 inch of plywood of dimensions of 2 by 2 inches on top of the soffit and glued....AND THAT WILL HOLD the pot lights UP and FIRM.

Thanks for your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks