is this plaster or asbestos on my blueboard?

Users who are viewing this thread

aavguy

Reaction score
cutting into closet wall which is blue board and plaster.... please tell me this thin layer of gray stuff over the blue board is plaster and not asbestos? It's less than a quarter inch thick... Typical?

Cookie

Reaction score
I would think it probably isn't. In older homes with ceiling popcorn paint they would mix the two, but I would doubt the closet from what you are saying, but only a test would show for sure. Even then with the popcorn paint they would mix in a horse's hair and that, sometimes would scare people, too. Pittsburgh is noted for older homes and there's alot of places you can call and have it checked beforehand. A restoration service can be recommended through your homeowners. My homeowners paid for me to have it done.

aavguy

Reaction score
is the plaster coat that goes over blue board typically gray? I always thought it was white so that's what made me question it I guess. it really doesn't appear like there are strands of fiber, looks like gray concrete almost.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
If they used the kind that isn't premixed, that powder is gray and maybe, they didn't add enough of water to bring the color lighter.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I finally found an asbestos test kit: $14 for the kit, plus $20 if you actually want the lab to tell you the test results.
Apparently under 1% of asbestos and 99% air, by weight, is 'below the radar'.

Before I disturb my old acoustic tile ceiling I will be looking into rental fans and filters to pull new air into the room while I'm working.
Finding the proper equipment, ACHs, etc., is going to be at least an hour's worth of research, phone calls. :(

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Asbestos rarely "looks" like what you are thining asbestos should be. The fibers are microscopic, which is why that get to your lungs so badly

aavguy

Reaction score
Well, here is a pic of the blueboard and gray stuff (plaster?)... I think I overreacted here. I simply though plaster was always white. IMG_1081.jpg

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
From my test kit
". . .any building material that is not glass, wood, steel, yellow or pink fiberglass could contain asbestos. . ."
from 1900 to 1978.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before we got smart, they used asbestos fibers in lots of things as a benign filler. Now we know it is not so benign. Not that it will kill you on contact or anything like that, but if you break the fibers into small bits and inhale them, your body can't get rid of them, and this can cause all sorts of issues, most of which are the result of long-term exposure. So, the last thing you want to do is sand something containing asbestos, or do anything that generates dust that contains it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks