Water Hammer Arrester - Must be Vertical?

Users who are viewing this thread

larrymcg

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is a silly question, but..... Does the tube of a water arrester have to be vertical?

Since the arrester tube has a piston that separates the water from the contained gas, I thought there could be a chance that the tube could be horizontal.

I want to put arresters on the hot and cold lines to the clothes washer but the current flexible lines connect to shut-off valves with outlets that go straight down. So connecting something like the Sioux Chief Min-Restor at the shut-off valves would have the tube in the horizontal direction.

--Larry

larrymcg

Reaction score
I wonder why I didn't think of mounting them on the washer? The connections on the washer are above each other so I could mount the top arrester vertically and the bottom one at a slight angle to miss the top one!

Thanks,
Larry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ideally, the arrester is installed as close to the quick-acting valve as possible...and, with an engineered on, orientation is irrelelvant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks