(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Is it possible to over filter?

Default Is it possible to over filter?

I have lived in my home for 18 years and always had a Big Blue whole house filtration system. I use a string wound filter first, followed by a sediment filter. Yesterday my water pressure dropped to nothing if I was running more then one appliance that required water . For example, I flushed the toilet and turned on the shower and had a small stream of water coming from the shower head. After the toilet tank refilled the shower head had normal pressure. It also took my washing machine forever to fill. I put in fresh filters the first of September 1 and purchased filters that I thought would last for 6 months: Culligan RFC-BB 10" Big Blue Water Filter RFC-BBS and Aqua-Pure AP814 Rust, Dirt, Sediment Water Filters. I have not used filters in the past that lasted more then two months. Today, I went into my crawl space to check my filters since my water pressure is still so low. The string wound filter looked fine. The second filter ( Micron Rating: 25 Micron, Dimensions: 9 3/4" x 4 1/2", Carbon, Filter Life: 10,000 gallons or 6 months per filter, Culligan Filtration Level 4 - Premium Filtration) had mud in the canister and on the bottom of the filer. I have never had this problem. Have I used a filter that is too strong? Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I have found that carbon filters tend to cause a drop of pressure in the line.

25 microns is about the size of a white blood cell. 1 mm is 1000 microns.

If you use too fine of a filter it will clog in a short time and cause the problem you now have.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

You should check and see if your pressure tank still has a bladder or diaphragm intact. Filters are great for saving you from a slug of crud when the bag breaks.

The better the filter, the slower the flow! Filters are great where needed but they will restrict the flow. Yes, you can almost filter yourself out of water.
    Porky Cutter, MGWC
    (Master Ground Water Consultant)