basement rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

robert8

Reaction score
Hi,
I am planing to finish my basement bathroom in a single house built 2 years ago in Maryland. I have some question about these pipe rough ins. The are 2 biger ones. one is black 5" and in 2 ft away is a 4 " white one. I guess the black one is for toilet. but what is the white one for? if for the shower drain, it is too close to the toilet and is just 2 food in front of the sink drain pipe. There are another two 2"pipes behighd the 2 bigger ones.. one with tee connection and connect to the first floor for vent, I guess this is for sink drain, and another one without Tee connection, I guess this is for tube drain. Also, How do I know there is or is not a P trap under the cement fo r the tube? Do I need connect any more vent for the tube or toilet?
Many thanks
Robert

Attachments

• CIMG1056.jpg
    CIMG1056.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,442
  • CIMG1058.jpg
    CIMG1058.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,581
  • rough in.jpg
    rough in.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 877

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
Wow Talk about a stab in the dark!! I would open the capped 2" pipe and see if it has a trap under the slab. If it does it looks like a tub drain. If it doesn't I would guess vent for toilet. My best guess is the black pipe is a cleanout. But in till you open the pipe you will not Know. I suggest calling a plumber who has a video inspection camera to figure it out, Probably cheaper to have him finish the plumbing for you than making mistakes.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The 2" stub coming out of the vent stack is for your lav, the 2" stub coming up from the slab is for your tub/shower drain, the 4" stub coming up from the slab is for your toilet, and the 5" black stub might possibly be a backwater valve. You better leave plenty of access to that pit ejector unit if you plan on finishing this yourself.

robert8

Reaction score
The 2" stub coming out of the vent stack is for your lav, the 2" stub coming up from the slab is for your tub/shower drain, the 4" stub coming up from the slab is for your toilet, and the 5" black stub might possibly be a backwater valve. You better leave plenty of access to that pit ejector unit if you plan on finishing this yourself.

Thanks, Basement-lurker,
Do you suggest that I should install the backwater valve before or at the sametime when I finish the basement bathroom?
There is a big stub (6" white pipe) with openable cap on the yard outside of the walk-out basement, looks like related to a sewer system, is that a backwater valve, too?
Many thanks
Robert

robert8

Reaction score
Wow Talk about a stab in the dark!! I would open the capped 2" pipe and see if it has a trap under the slab. If it does it looks like a tub drain. If it doesn't I would guess vent for toilet. My best guess is the black pipe is a cleanout. But in till you open the pipe you will not Know. I suggest calling a plumber who has a video inspection camera to figure it out, Probably cheaper to have him finish the plumbing for you than making mistakes.

Many thanks , Gsalet. Your answer is quite helpful.
Do you mean the black pipe ,"a cleanout" is something that the Basement_Lurker mentioned backwater valve?
Thanks again.
Robert

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks