(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: clawfoot tub water supply - flex?

Default clawfoot tub water supply - flex?

I have a clawfoot tub in a basement. The old supply lines - well - let's just say the decided to not work anymore. Putting the compression rigid lines back in place seems like a bad idea as the tub is set up in a way where they're pretty easy to bump

What I'd like to do is replace the rigid supply line with the braided flexible lines. I've searched everywhere for someone trying to do the same thing and haven't had any luck finding one (including here), so if there's a thread already similar to this, sorry...

Here's my issue:
    a 1/2FIP to 3/4FIP flexible line only seems to exist and they're out of stock for the next 2 mos or so. (I don't want to wait, but my guess is I'm going to have to)

I tried a 1/2 to 1/2 hose with a brass 3/4 to 1/2 reducer on the faucet connections and it leaks like a sieve. I've tried pipe dope, teflon tape, both, none, tight, tighter, stupid tight, and everywhere in between and the leak always happens between the brass adapter and the faucet (hose connections work just dandy).

Any thoughts on why this might be? I'm bamboozled by the whole thing.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions and/or alternative ideas is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-18-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

If you have a real OLD claw foot tub and faucets the connection to the faucets may not be a standard fitting, you may need part of what you have taken out to get it to hook up, sorry

Nope it's a 3/4" MIP it had a compression fitting rigid supply line on both ends. I could go that route again (I assume) it's just there's a 99.9999999999999% chance those lines will get bumped pretty good which is what caused the last failure.

Tub's old faucet looks relatively new.

Its compression not mip, theres a difference.

Rubber cone washers with friction rings.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-18-2013 at 10:01 AM.

You can get special supply couplings that will take your 3/4 faucet ends down to a 1/2" IPS male connection so you can then use standard braided faucet supply lines. You can google "clawfoot tub supply couplings". (I'd post a link on where I purchased mine, but I don't think the forum allows?)

Trey
    TreyH
    ** Not a professional - only a DIYr **

sounds like you need a couple clawfoot ells
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Awesome, thanks Jerome. I had no idea there was a difference.

I've found some of the couplings you mentioned Trey (don't want to post link for reasons you mentioned) do they make them not in an ell form? The only thing I've been able to find are ells. Not going to be picky about it just curious. You can e-mail or pm me where you got yours I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by ChrisRice; 09-26-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: accidentally put in a link I think is not allowed.

Those will work. The threads on the valve are straight, not tapered like a pipe fitting. The seal is made by compressing a washer, not with the threads.

I wouldn't have ruined the threads on the faucet threads by trying to put the wrong fitting on it would I?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRice View Post
    I wouldn't have ruined the threads on the faucet threads by trying to put the wrong fitting on it would I?
    Shouldn't have. You couldn't get a seal using a female threaded adapter due to the threads on the faucet being straight and not tapered as asktom mentioned. The supply couplings (ells) use a flat washer that seals against the tip of the faucet pipe.
    TreyH
    ** Not a professional - only a DIYr **

Fantastic. Thanks for all the help! Anyone has a web design, home theater, or pc trouble shooting question I'm all yours!

Actually, the inlets to a tub faucet have a taper machined into them. In the old days we used solid "tailpieces with a tapered nose" and a lock nut to connect to the faucet. A flexible hose supply with a gasket will seal to the faucet, although I question how "pretty" it will look.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Actually, the inlets to a tub faucet have a taper machined into them. In the old days we used solid "tailpieces with a tapered nose" and a lock nut to connect to the faucet. A flexible hose supply with a gasket will seal to the faucet, although I question how "pretty" it will look.
    That's what I wanted to do initially just use a hose, problem is I've only found one with 3/4 on one end and 1/2 on the other and when I tried to order it there was a 70 day wait (maybe more), that was a month ago, so it should be approximately 40 days now, I was just trying to find a different solution.

The flexible lines on there now (where the 3/4 to 1/2 coupler leaks) actually look pretty good. Pretty enough for the wife, so I think we're good.

Thanks for the input. I feel like a tool for not realizing the threads were different!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can pick up solid risers still for the old clawfoot tubs. These are brass plated stops with rigid supply lines.
    There were from, Sign of the Crab