low pressure at vents

Users who are viewing this thread

jaycanter

Reaction score
That says the problem is in the supply an 8x20 duct at 1600 cfm for 4 tons of cooling is .25 static which is o.k but leads me to believe it's the taps off of the supply. how many runs come off & what size are they?

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Based on what you said 1600 CFM and 25 six inch vents the six inch ducts are fine.
(~64CFM thru a 6" duct is sufficient, assuming you unit is OK, it is your supply and return size.)
Note: the mention of .25 SP is .25" per hundred feet of 20"x8" straight duct. This does not count the grill pressure drop, filter loss, elbows,transitions, 6" duct, plus the similar losses for the return system. I doubt if your unit puts out 1600CFM at a .75" external SP but something less.

toohott7718

Reaction score
how exactly would I know what cfm my furnace puts out, the guy who installed it said it should be 2000cfm, but Im not sure and like I said before these guys didnt know what they were doing as I know now. but as far as for the sp how would I know what my system is at. is there a meter that would test that. Im not sure if the meter I plan to buy will tell me that but Im going to get a meter that tells me how much cfm each vent is putting out. thanks again

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Try searching for "measuring external static pressure" on the web. One page that gives you an idea is http://contractingbusiness.com/enewsletters/cb_imp_70061/

To give you an example for air volume of air look at the following: http://eetd.lbl.gov/ie/pdf/LBNL-51550.pdf#search=""garbage bag" "air flow" "homeowner""

The contractor should have paperwork similar to that for the Trane equipment below, giving you an idea of what your unit is capable of. As an example look on pg 8 of this web page for a Trane unit http://www.trane.com/CPS/Uploads/Us... Systems/Small Splits/22-1774-17_10012009.pdf (static pressure vs cfm, note the heating section if external to the AHU also has a pressure drop assciated with it that has to be overcome by the AHU).

toohott7718

Reaction score
so what size duct would you reccomend for the supply and the return? or do you need a drawing of what my setup looks like

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Need a plan view rough sketch of the trunk lines and the approximate location of each of the 6" duct in reference to each other and approximate length in feet between the 6" ducts totaling the 48' of trunk line. (Some of the 6" ducts may be acrossed from each other or off set.)
You still have my email if it would be easier. I can accept pdf older versions of autocad or smartsketch.

toohott7718

Reaction score
I emailed the sketch to you and I will also post it here, it might be too big a file to upload but I'll try. thanks again!!

Attachments

• ductwork layout dimensions.jpg
    ductwork layout dimensions.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 437

Hube

Reaction score
25 supplys at 6" apiece adds up to (28" x 25= 700 inches of air. But the main is only 8x20= 160 inches. That means the MAIN DUCT is much TOO SMALL to handle this amount of supply takeoffs.
You need a pro to come in and size the supply AND return properly.

Last edited:

toohott7718

Reaction score
25 supplys at 6" apiece adds up to (28" x 25= 700 inches of air. But the main is only 8x20= 160 inches. That means the MAIN DUCT is much TOO SMALL to handle this amount of supply takeoffs.
You need a pro to come in and size the supply AND return properly.

I have already had 4 supposed pro's out here, I cant afford anymore pro service calls!! That's why Im here. Do you think if I had the money I would come to a forum for help?? Everyone I had out here said everything was fine, what a waste of my money.

toohott7718

Reaction score
it seems to me that gator37 is the only one that has truly given me any real answers, and didnt give me the run around like all the other service pro's I had out here. So thanks again gator37, I really appreciate it

Hube

Reaction score
Yes ,Gator37 has given good advice. it's the same advice given by me and some others .
Your MAIN TRUNK duct is either not large enough to supply those 25 6" takeoffs.
Or it also could be that those 6" takeoffs are not required. Pehaps 4" or 5" would be sufficient to supply these rooms.. i have been in Hvac for almost 50 yearsand I know what i'm talking about.
Get a real pro to come in and look it over. this time call in an hvac rep, not any old plumber/carpenter or butcher, but a real live hvac (heating/ cooling)pro, not a "supposed" pro.

toohott7718

Reaction score
Again, if I could find a real pro I wouldnt be here. The first one was the guy who put the system in, and the other 3 I found out of the phone book, all local guys too. You act like Im looking through the newspaper or I'm just calling anyone who thinks they can do hvac work, Im calling straight out of the phonebook. Isnt that people normally do, use the phone book?? I got more info from emailing gator37 than here is what I was trying to say. I know the 6" ducts arent the problem because I have shorter runs that are also 6" and they still dont get enough pressure, so it has to be the supply duct and or the return duct

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks