Remedy for AAV concealed in wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

aavguy

Reaction score
Apparently I have an AAV in my bathroom wall that works for both my sink and toilet. It is 4 to 5 feet above the floor. I haven't had any problem with it, but am worried about it possibility of it failing and leaking sewer gas into the wall. What is the best solution for this? I was thinking about putting a small vent in the wall for accessibility and to help vent in case the AAV did leak sewer gas. Is this a good option?
Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Code is AAV's must be accessible. I guess there was no inspection on the original job. Either extend the AAV to the attic or run the vent through the roof.

John

aavguy

Reaction score
I see Oatey makes a 4" x 6" access panel with optional vents... this might be the ticket. Heck, i might be able to hide the access panel behind my towel bar... looks like the right height.

aavguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Wasn't sure, because I kept wondering if sewer gas would leak straight up into the wall, or towards the easiest exit (the panel vent).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The AAV is designed to let air suck in.
When you hold your finger over a straw, it doesn't drain.

The AAV is supposed to prevent air from escaping, but allows air to suck in and allow draining.
It needs to be installed in conjunction with a "real" vent somewhere in the system to account for positive and negative pressures.
The AAV is only good for the negative pressures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks