(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Best style of closet flange to use

Default Best style of closet flange to use

It's almost time to install the closet flange after tiling; which one of these would you prefer, and why? It seems logical that the one on the left, having a stop that covers the edge of the joint line between the pipe and flange spigot, would be "better" in some way; am I over thinking this? (These are both 4x3 varieties, to be glued onto the outside of a 3-inch PVC pipe; both have stainless flanges.)

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Surely it depends at what height they will be set. The one on the left if "all the way down". The one on the right if somewhere in between. If you use the one on the left in an installation where the flange is not set all the way down there will be a space where gunk can collect between the top of the pipe and the stop. No?

The cement will form a chemical bond so there should be no difference in strength.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 09-21-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You sure the one on the right is not designed to fit inside a 4" pipe? If it is really a socket, it should be slightly tapered and only fit over the pipe to the bottom once you've added the cement
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it goes into a hub fitting, then the spigot is your choice.
    If you're installing on a section of pipe, then the hub is the right one.

There, done!

Using a ruler to check them, they do NOT appear to be the same. One should go over a pipe and the other into a socket/hub. Which you use would depend on what you are attaching them to.

Left: Genova 75150 3"x4", right: Oatey 43495 3"x4". Both of them have the same outside diameter (~4"), but the Genova is definitely an interference fit (it stops after the 3" PVC riser goes into the inside of the fitting about 1/3rd of the way), while the Oatey will slide with slight friction until the riser is fully engaged in the fitting. Oatey calls this a "Level-Fit" closet flange, so I'm guessing the loose fit is intentional to allow it to slide down flush with the floor regardless of whether the riser is EXACTLY the right length.

Looks like I will be using the Genova (left) one.

The other difference is the one on the left has a rounded bead between the upper flange and the pipe, the one on the right is squared off, so depending on how close the flooring is to the pipe, the one on the right would need less clearance to the pipe in order to fit. Sounds like you could use either one. Just make sure you get a good coat of cement on it so it seals.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

^ What kind of cement? Thanks...

The standard PVC cement. It's sort of like the glue you may have used to build models when a child..it melts the plastic and literally welds it together. Get a good coat on both sides and use the primer to clean and condition it first. Some inspectors want you to use the purple primer so they can verify you actually used it, but it's messy and can stain things if you aren't careful.
    Jim DeBruycker

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    The standard PVC cement. It's sort of like the glue you may have used to build models when a child..it melts the plastic and literally welds it together. Get a good coat on both sides and use the primer to clean and condition it first. Some inspectors want you to use the purple primer so they can verify you actually used it, but it's messy and can stain things if you aren't careful.
    tks, so basically the one that I'm using now then. Actually I'm using two, the clear for the drains which is forgiving, and the yellowish cream one for the cpvc pipes which once on doesn't allow for much play.

You should be also using the primer (at least on the PVC, I've not used CPVC). This cleans the surface, and actually starts the softening which is accelerated by the cement.
    Jim DeBruycker

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    You should be also using the primer (at least on the PVC, I've not used CPVC). This cleans the surface, and actually starts the softening which is accelerated by the cement.
    yes sir, I've been using the funky purple primer...at least it's a pretty color..lol