Two wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I am replacing a ceiling fan, when I removed it I noticed no grounding wire just two wires which are the same color. Is there a way to find out which is the positive/hot wire?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There should be a ground wire. Anyway, of the two internal leads, one should be "identified" meaning a white stripe, or ribs on it , or something. That is the neutral wire.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If there is no ID on the wires from the box, run an incand. bulb from each wire, in turn, to a "known good ground". The hot wire will light the bulb.

A meter may respond to Phantom Voltages and confuse you, unless you are using a type of rugged, solenoid voltmeter that electricians use that is called a Wiggy.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Ah, the joys of 1950s wiring. All wires turn to black.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are many ways for US to determine which is the hot wire, but since we do NOT know what type of instruments you have, we cannot tell you how YOU can do it.

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Am a plumber, the only electrical equipment I own is a craftsman multi-meter. I did take electric shop in high school six years ago and do know how to run wires to complete a circuit. I was just surprised to see that the hot and neutral wires were the same color.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless it is in conduit, there were NOT when they were installed. In conduit the colors could be whatever the installer had, if he decided not to follow the convention of using white for the neutral.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I am replacing a ceiling fan, when I removed it I noticed no grounding wire just two wires which are the same color. Is there a way to find out which is the positive/hot wire?

Find the cold negitive and the hot positive will be the ohter one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks