Sump Pump Float Switch Settings

Users who are viewing this thread

ArthurS

Reaction score
My sump pump works alot. Is there a proper way to set the float switch. Where should the float be set to maintain proper pumping?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The float setting may not be a major consideration...if you have lots of ground water, you have lots of water to pump. But, not having a check valve in the line may mean that much of the water you pump out falls back into the sump after the pump stops. you get to keep pumping the same stuff over and over again. You might have a check valve, but it is no longer working properly, too. Also for consideration, where are you discharging the water you pump...if it is close to the house, you are not helping matters, either; get is as far away (preferably downhill) from the house as you can. Last, the ground around the house should be sloped away for at least 6', and the gutter downspouts run away from the foundation. This will help keep excess water from the foundation and it finding its way into the sump to be pumped away. My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switches

The setting is immaterial. If they are close together the pump will run more frequently but for a short time. Farther apart it runs less often, but for a longer time. Your real problem is to find out where all the water is coming from to make it operate in the first place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks