On the class action lawsuit front ( plumbing related) Clorox, Lowes

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1). Clorox, without admitting harm or fault, has settled a suit about damage caused by their in-the-tank automatic bowl cleaner tablets with bleach.
http://www.bholaw.com/clorox_docs/First%20Amended%20Complaint%20with%20Exhibits.pdf
By just signing a form attesting that you used the product, you can claim a settlement of "up to $30" for reimbursement of purchase and damages. If you claim more than $30, it is a longer form.

2). Lowe's has settled a suit alleging that they sold and installed clothes dryers using plastic or foil duct connectors for installation. The suite alleges those are improper or inferior materials. You can file a claim for $20 if you purchased a dryer. If you had a fire due to improper ducts, you would have to opt out of the class action and sue individually.
https://dryerductsettlement.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow that Chlorox bowl cleaner PDF sure is a lot of pages to prove a well known fact...

When are they going after "Flushable" baby wipes....

Lenore

Reaction score
2). Lowe's has settled a suit alleging that they sold and installed clothes dryers using plastic or foil duct connectors for installation. The suite alleges those are improper or inferior materials. You can file a claim for $20 if you purchased a dryer. If you had a fire due to improper ducts, you would have to opt out of the class action and sue individually.
https://dryerductsettlement.com/[/QUOTE]

I recieved one of these cards for the settlement today. Does anyone know what caused this lawsuit? I have a bendable foil duct on my dryer, Im confused, what else is there? Should I be using something else, thats all Ive seen in stores anyway.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For sure, plastic flex duct has been disapproved for dryers for many years in virtually every building or city code. The metal FOIL type is still widely sold. I don't know if there are any prohibitions against it. It is not my preference, because it is too easily damaged, and the suit may simply allege that it is an inferior material. The better connection is the what they call semi-ridid flex duct. Much stiffer thatn the foil, but still have to be careful. The best installation is NO flex, but until the dryer manufacturers and home builders get together and make some designs that facilitate that, it is usually impossible.

Lenore

Reaction score
For sure, plastic flex duct has been disapproved for dryers for many years in virtually every building or city code. The metal FOIL type is still widely sold. I don't know if there are any prohibitions against it. It is not my preference, because it is too easily damaged, and the suit may simply allege that it is an inferior material. The better connection is the what they call semi-ridid flex duct. Much stiffer thatn the foil, but still have to be careful. The best installation is NO flex, but until the dryer manufacturers and home builders get together and make some designs that facilitate that, it is usually impossible.

Thanks, I finally found out info after looking alot online. Looks like the case is all about what the dryer manual recommended, and the pastic and foil is not one of them. So their saying since Lowes installs dryers with what the manufacterer said not to use Lowes is putting costomers at risk for fire. But still the metal foil is all Ive ever seen.This is all new to me, but Im no expert.

So the semi rigid is better becasue the interior is smoother right? I was reading alot when looking online that the semi rigid werent UL listed and not up to code but the foil ones are...? Am I getting what I read confused, or are they talking about which duct is suppose to be running through the walls instead of the transition duct? I just want to make sure the foil transision duct I have always use is safe. Thanks again for responding!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Neither the foil or semi rigid should be inside the wall, although you will find both out there. In-wall duct should be completely smooth wall with taped joints, no screws. You are only allowed up to 6 feet of transition flex, outside of the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks