Correct size for Bosch AquaStar tankless water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
I'm interested in replacing my tank water heater with a Bosch AquaStar. It would serve a home with 2 baths, and an in-law unit with bath and kitchen.

The smaller model ($500) says it provides hot water for "one major application" at a time. The larger model (close to $1000) provides for two and a half.

I'd welcome hearing opinions about this heater and about sizing.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

This is a case where too big is no problem, but too small is a lifetime problem. You will either love it or hate it. There is no inbetween with a tankless heater. Be sure that the gas line is adequate for whichever you buy and that the flue is either big enough or can be increased without a major home remodeling.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Actually the way these heaters are rated is that they will raise a certain quantity of water a certain number of degrees. If your water is considerably colder or warmer it affects the gpm and the temperature. I have had to install valves to "throttle down" the hot water flow as the heater was not capable of raising the temperature of the quantity of water the fixture was putting out above very warm. Do not consider the smaller one. I would even say that the larger one is pushing it with a separate residence to consider. I would urge you to check out some other makes and models also.
Deb
The Pipewench

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Aquastar 125 gives 2.5 gallon per minute. Enough for a good ( but as long as you want!) shower. Washing machine OK. Dishwasher OK. Only ONE of these things at a time. Tub fill would be very slow if you wanted it hot.

The model 240 gives 5 gallon per minute. You could do 2 things at once, except the tub.

Your situation would seem ideal for multiple units. This may be pricey depending on where they could be located.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
master plumber mark

why do you want to put yourself through all this trouble and extra expence???

before you buy one try to find a competent serviceman in your area and see how soon it would be before he could come out

ask how much he charges too..

look under my name for another long winded explanation I made about this subject

good luck god bless

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks