moving cast iron tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Greggs

Reaction score
I am remodeling a very small bathroom. It is a limited space. I want to install 315lbs cat iron tub. The alcove is 60"x 32". There is an old radiator sticking out right in front of this space. Even if I remove the cover and radiating elements, there will still be piping coming out of the floor and wall. This will prevent me from sliding the cast iron tub into the alcove. If we lift it there is not any room to maneuver. does anybody have any ideas about jacks or lifts ect. I would have to lift it 21" off the ground and move it almost all the way and then lower. Also I would have to work from the skinny end of the tub in a 3'x3' spaceHelp anybody? greggs

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Assume you need to open up more wall than you think you would like to ...down to the studs. Sometimes, you can then have enough clearance to lay the tub on its side...apron down ( protect the floor and the apron with heavy blankets. Try to angle it into the space, then you may have clearance to tilt it back down into normal position.

FJK

Reaction score
Do you have room to "walk" the tub in vertically into the alcove. That's how I did mine because I could not just slide it in.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is probably a way, since I install mine into recesses all the time, but the process is NOT something I would want to try to describe in detail and expect you to be able to follow the instructions.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Try a ceiling rail made of an iron rod or thickwalled iron pipe with some type of pulley that rides on it.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:59&biw=1474&bih=805

It will give you horizontal movement with only two small holes in the ceiling to attach the rail to the ceiling joists with cabling at each end of the rail. The rail hangs a few inches below the ceiling surface.

Get cable with a working strength of 300 pounds or an ultimate strength of 1200 pounds.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-rope-strength-d_1518.html

Suspend the tub with rope and a block and tackle, which give you vertical movement.

Last edited:

decorsuite

Reaction score
Sounds like your limited in space. I would suggest you tilt and angle the tub until it fits.

Johnson
DecorSuite Inc.
www.decorsuite.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks