Air coming out with water

Users who are viewing this thread

Blue Hen

Reaction score
I'm getting air with the water from my faucets. I have checked my lines and could not find any leaks. I'm guessing its in the bladder tank or hot water heater. I ran water out of the bottom of the hot water tank and the water was clear. Now here is where I think the problem is maybe. I get brown water once in awhile when there is air and water coming thru. I think since the hot water tank is clear of brown water that is my bladder tank that is the problem. There is some iron in the water but having had the water tested once a year and is good. But here is the rub, I get more brown water from hot water than the cold water when air pops thru. This goes away and comes back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Does the tank bladder maintain air pressure? Is the pump a jet or submersible? Are there any treatment systems or filters installed in the system?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is the temperature of the water coming out of the water heater?
If the hot side water hasn't been used in some time, it can create a type of gas in the tank which can sputter as it leaves the faucet.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I'm getting air with the water from my faucets.

I ran water out of the bottom of the hot water tank and the water was clear.

I get brown water once in awhile when there is air and water coming thru.

I think since the hot water tank is clear of brown water that is my bladder tank that is the problem. There is some iron in the water but having had the water tested once a year and is good.

But here is the rub, I get more brown water from hot water than the cold water when air pops thru. This goes away and comes back.
Unless you drain water out of the heater when the water at the faucets is brown, you probably won't see brown water in the heater, it has been flushed out to the faucets.

Flushed out probably due to the air in the water scrubbing the inside of the plumbing which removes the iron residue (ferric iron = common household rust; caused by the ferrous iron in your water) from the inside of the pipes, flushing it out to the faucets.

So IMO you need to find the cause of the air. Most probable is the pressure tank. So using the sticky posts at the beginning/top of this forum, check the air pressure etc to be 1-2 psi less than the cut-in pressure switch setting with no water in the tank when you check the air pressure. You may have a blockage of rust in the switch and/or the nipple it is installed on; or tubing to the switch with a jet pump.

Next probable cause would be the pump sucking air due to the water level in the well getting down to the pump inlet allowing it to suck air.

Blue Hen

Reaction score
Does the tank bladder maintain air pressure? Is the pump a jet or submersible? Are there any treatment systems or filters installed in the system?

I will have to check the tanks pressure, its a jet pump and no systems or filters

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks