(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the odds this will end up bad? Frozen pipes?

DIY Junior Member Estrogen Hostage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    I've measured the incoming water temp in the middle of a cold snap in my upstairs bathroom at 33-degrees, and below 40 often in the winter. That's after it has traveled about 100' or more 'inside' the building. The pipes are in the ceiling, and they're covered with drywall, so hopefully, there isn't a huge amount of convection, mostly still air, but no heat source.

We're going to talk about it at the board meeting, and may pay the utilities, set the heat to maybe 50 or so, and put a lien on the place for whomever ends up buying it that would have to be cleared...just don't want to have to hassle with it in the first place. Not sure if the bank actually understands that 'winterizing' the unit does not absolve them of risks of damage...maybe internally in the walls, but not the through pipe.
    I would expect that this won't affect you too much.

A few years ago I was working on the foundation of my house and the project went on too long - the excavator disappeared and it was a mess. Anyway, it was January and I had the incoming water line exposed outside the foundation. It froze once in January and I had to thaw it but it gave me no other issues.

In your case, I would see if you can run heat tape off an extension cord from your unit and put that on the pipe. It'll add a few bucks to the bill but give you the peace of mind that it's being taken care of.

I dunno... running a heat tape into someone else's unit could open you up to liability if it froze up or caught fire. Force the owner's hands, even if the owner is a bank.

Many condo associations where intermittent occupancy have a minimum temperature rule built into the bylaws for exactly these kinds of reasons. (eg. My MIL has place in Maine with a 50F min-temp rule that's primarily her summer place. In January only about half the units are occupied, but in July it's full-up.)