Are there any types of side work you would rec to an apprentice?

Users who are viewing this thread

lizard

Reaction score
I am a plumbing apprentice. I am wrapping up a side job that involved replacing the polybutylene with wirsbo pex. At times I felt as though I was getting in way over my head. I did this job for the most part alone. I am not licensed, insured, or bonded.

I have been doing plumbing (except during lay off periods) since December 2005 mostly under the guidance of employers and occasionally for some of my own small jobs.

I do not think that this latest job exemplifies the type that I should be taking so, could you recommend plumbing jobs that I could take and under which conditions?

I am in Maryland. My latest thoughts are:

1) I'd like to be able to bring in an additional $500.00 a month. That's outside of what I make during my work weeks.

2) Have thought about getting a couple of different snakes and rodding drains for extra $$$.

3) This seems far fetched - Learning how to size water distribution systems and offering my services as a consultant.

Thank you for your time and thoughts

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I am not licensed, insured, or bonded.

Well that could be interesting if you ever have a problem, no insurance is scary.
A fitting that pops can add up to $100,000 pretty soon.
I guess if the homeowner is bringing you in, they better have insurance.

I can't really recommend how you would do side jobs, it's something I did when I was young, but now I'm older and have seen the complications from it.
The State requires licensing, bonding and insurance to protect homeowners. You're kind of hanging out there with no protection.
Here, if they find you working without the necessary requirements, they can take the van, car or truck, with tools from you as a penalty.

Many places a homeowner can legally work on their own place, but it changes quickly when you are doing work for others.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As a plumbing apprentice, not licensed, insured, or bonded, you are hanging it way out there!
I sympathize with your need for higher levels of income as an entry level apprentice but if you run into problems and I guarantee that you will, you will end up on losing everything you have invested to date in your schooling and apprenticeship.

In addition to sanctions by the states that may prohibit you from getting your license you may find yourself with a huge liability for damages from a botched job. I do not know the laws of Maryland regarding licensing and rodding lines but if you can easily get legal with a license if it is required and the required insurance, I would certainly consider doing that. Here in CT an HIC (Home Improvement Contractor) license is all that is required for drain cleaning and it is easy to obtain. Basically apply and pay the fees along with having the insurance.

Your side jobs have another thing you should consider and that is your employers wishes. Many employers do not allow their employees to do plumbing related side jobs in which case it would be wise to consider something else. Talk to your employer and find out what is okay with them.

At this stage you have made some investment in your future in the trade and I would not consider it wise to do anything that could jepardize your future in the trade. Plumbing has been very good to me and after a little hardship it will reward you greatly. Patience my friend, do not jump the gun and ruin your chances.

Last edited:

lizard

Reaction score
In that case I feel that my two present options are:

1) Look into local jurisdictions to see what all requirements are for rodding drains and see if I can meet them.

2) Continue to do Ikea Furniture Assembly for people. So far that has been low overhead and low liability.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
In that case I feel that my two present options are:

1) Look into local jurisdictions to see what all requirements are for rodding drains and see if I can meet them.

2) Continue to do Ikea Furniture Assembly for people. So far that has been low overhead and low liability.

I live in Maryland also, I think that you need at least a MHIC to clean drains; I'm not 100% sure.

One thing you don't want to do is work in WSSC, they have an inspector thats only job is to find people that are not following the rules, licensed or not, and I've never heard of them giving anyone a break, luck.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you get caught working without a license you will probably never be able to sit for the journeymans test in your state and whatever apprentice training and money you spent will be down the drain.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
THIS IS WHAT YOUR STATE HAS TO SAY ABOUT "SIDEWORK"

DLLR's Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

Doing Plumbing Work in Maryland Without A License or Insurance? Worth Going to Jail? - Maryland Board of Plumbing

If you provide, attempt to provide, or offer to provide plumbing or gas services in the State of Maryland without a license issued by the Maryland Board of Plumbing, you are violating the State Law and running a risk of going to jail. You must hold the proper category of license issued by the Maryland Board of Plumbing in order to provide plumbing, propane gas, or natural gas services in the State.

Apprentices

Apprentices must be licensed, supervised and under the control of a Master or Journey level State licensee present on the jobsite. Apprentices cannot legally do any plumbing or gas work alone.

Journey Plumber

While a journey plumber license is in effect, it authorizes the licensee to provide plumbing services only under the direction and control of a master plumber or a holder of a limited master plumber license.

Master Plumber - Insured

Only insured master plumbers can enter into contracts to perform plumbing or gas services. Each master plumber shall display the master plumber license and the license number conspicuously in the principal place of business of the master plumber; and the license number of the master plumber license on each vehicle used on the job for providing plumbing services.

Penalties: Failure to be properly licensed can result in a fine up to $100 or imprisonment up to 6 months or both for each day that the violation continues, or up to $5,000 for each violation.

Insurance

A master plumber or holder of a limited master plumber license may not contract to provide plumbing services on behalf of the master plumber, holder of a limited master plumber license, or another person who engages in the business of providing plumbing services unless the plumbing work of the master plumber or holder of a limited master plumber license is covered by liability insurance, including completed operations: (1) for bodily injury in the amount of at least $300,000; and (2) for property damage in the amount of at least $100,000.

Penalties: Any person who knowingly and willfully fails to have insurance coverage is subject to a fine up to $1,000 or imprisonment up to 6 months or both.

For additional information about the licensing and insurance requirements, please visit the DLLR website or contact the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing at 410-230-6309.

Return to the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing home page

Questions or comments regarding the Board of Plumbing may be directed to plumbing@dllr.state.md.us.
Questions or comments regarding the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing may be directed to op@dllr.state.md.us.
Questions or comments regarding the DLLR website may be directed to webmaster@dllr.state.md.us.

Updated April 7, 2009

Contact Us | MD Accessibility Policy | Privacy Notice | Frequently Asked Questions

500 North Calvert Street #401 Baltimore, MD 21202 | General Information - 410-230-6001

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
quote: Apprentices must be licensed, supervised and under the control of a Master or Journey level State licensee present on the jobsite. Apprentices cannot legally do any plumbing or gas work alone.

It is funny, almost sad, how widely this situation varies from state to state. In California, you must have a contractor's license to solicit and contract for plumbing work. While you must document 4 years of "journeyman level" experience, the guidlines for that are fuzzy. If you have been driving around in a 'rooter truck cleaning out toilets for 4 years, with no supervision exvept the guy back in the office, that would qualify. The written test can be gotten through with a cram course, and is hardly as taxing as the journey and master tests that others on the forums have described in their state.

I am not trying to just throw myself and others in Calif. under the bus. There are good, well trained, and knowledgeabel contractors plumbers working here. It's all in finding a reputable company. For remodel and new construction, the inspectors are just used to writing a lot of red tickets. And a lot of crap has slipped by under the radar over the years. Just ask Mike Holmes us there in Canada!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are a multitude of problems with "side work".
1. if you employer finds out about it, he will probably teminate you.
2. Without any insurance, the homeowner would be on the "hook", if you were injured, and you would personally be liable for any damages to the structure.
3. You may be taking work away from your employer, because you have become his competitor.
4. Here, if you are caught, you can be banned from the trades for a couple of years, since it is a felony.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And all this underscores one of the major problems with the trade today. Apprentices usually have to put out about a grand a year to take the course and then do the 4 years at pretty low pay. A lot of guys are trying to do the schooling, work the job and raise a family on 15 bucks an hour so naturally, side work seems like a pretty good way to make some extra bucks. This is one of the reasons why apprentice applications are way way down nation wide. With a bad economy, the situation is even worse. In the mean time we licensed plumbers continue to embrace products and methods that require less and less technical skill and time to install. This leads employers to expect less from their apprentices and journeymen and combined with lower profit margins gives reason to pay plumbers less. The sad thing is that plumbers will always be in need. The question becomes just how little are you willing to work for?

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
If You have a opportunity for a side job, Let your boss in on it!! give him the job and you do the work. That keeps both of you employed. When I was just starting out I did all sorts of stuff, Janitorial, moving, yard cleaning, painting. But don't compete with the guy who signs your checks.
Good Luck

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I had a few "trusted" employees that not only did side jobs, but used my materials and vehicles to do them when I was on vacation. Later learned they built new houses for themselves on much of my time and materials too. Took my best tools too and blamed it on the new hire.

One clown took a job I was bidding while he worked for me, took a 80% deposit from the dope customer, and walked out of town without the guy getting ANYTHING. And I later learned I was several hundred dollars less than my unlicensed crook workers. Great salesman!

Thats just a taste of how low humans can fall to.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That could be one of the problems. If the guy is using your truck, the customer may think you are doing the job and expect you to guarantee the work. One side jobber almost burned a house down, and then tried to "convert" it to a job for his boss so the company's insurance would cover the damage.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Kind of like a recent episode of "scrappers". Big Lummux Darren is getting married, and to help him his brother gave him an old junker car, which he could scrap out for cash. But he works for a scrapper company, so scrapping the car on his own would be considered "side work" and disrespectful. He went to the boss, told him he had the opportunity to raise a few bucks to pay for his wedding, and asked the "Don" for permission. Don says ordinarily, he would expect a cut, but out of respect for Darren's upcoming wedding, he gave him permission to do the job and keep the cash.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have had contractors try to negotiate side work when they are actually on a job with their boss nearby.

Until I went to negotiate the price with their boss that was.

That didn't end well.

Both in big and small firms. They all try to do it.

A good way to combat it is consistent aftersales follow up. A quick call to say how the job went or why a quote was turned down (common if then taken on as side work). Lots of customers will then let slip, especially if side work is being done under the guise of the firm.

Last edited:

Chris8796

Reaction score
I'd be a little worried after 5 years you feel over your head replumbing a house with pex. At least your honest with yourself.

I would agree you are better off with other lines of sidework.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks