PEX system leak. How do I find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Designie

Reaction score
I have just finished roughing out the plumbing on my new house using PEX. I did a pressure check on the cold using a gage and ran it up to 60 lbs. It held the whole day and then was down only a couple lbs. in the morning, probably due to the temp.

When I checked the hot I ran it up to the same 60 lbs, and within about 5 minutes it had lost a lb or 2. So i waited a while and sure enough, it was down about 5 lbs. So I re-pressurized it to 80 lbs. and waited. It is losing pressure at about 10 lbs. an hour.

I tried listening for a leak and checked every valve and fitting and could not audibly find a leak. Is there some technique I can use to try and locate where I am losing pressure?

Thanks!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I use an ultrasonic leak detector when testing with air. It picks them up from about 20' away.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is where a manifold system makes life easier, you can shut off individual branches to help isolate things. One of the pros must have run into this, and may have some ideas.

Designie

Reaction score
I have it set up as a modular system, with each room on it's own 3/4 supply lead with a valve. So I can start by closing all but one zone, then check pressure. I still can't believe that I can't hear the air. I put my ear right next to every fitting I have!

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
why not just charge the system with water, it's not like you're going to have to solder to repair the leak and the leak will become self evident.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I would never go anywhere without a 1 gallon pump up sprayer filled with 90% water and 10% dish soap. Instant tire, gas, pipe, leak detector on the cheap. Damn handy portable sink on the job too.

Keep another one with diesel for parts cleaning, and a third with bleach for cleaning up the nasty stuff.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I just buy the quart bottles of kid's bubble solution from the dollar store. The glycerine in it makes the solution stick to the joints a lot longer than soap, so even a very small leak will usually be very evident after a few minutes.

Designie

Reaction score
Well, I was able to locate the room with the leak. I closed each room's supply valve and it was the last room on the line, the master bedroom. So I have isolated the room, but still have not found which fitting has the leak. So it has to be one of 2 vanity supplies, tub supply (which has a test plug installed) or the shower valve connection (or valve itself).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks