Unique icemaker supply stop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

locus123

Reaction score
I'm trying to hook up my icemaker/water inlet for my fridge (Kitchenaid). Apparently it's a 5/16" line. Rather than convert to 1/4", then connect to my 1/2" water line, does anyone know if the following supply stop valve exists and where i might be able to order it from?

- 1/2†Quickgrip (push on for easy connection)
- 5/16†Quickgrip (push on for easy connection)
- With a supply stop (1/2†in, 5/16†out)

Why would an fridge line be 5/16", what a way to stray from the standard sizes!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is almost ZERO 5/16" fittings commonly used other than reducing/increasing couplings to get them to standard 1/4" or 3/8" sizes. Are you sure of the refrigerator size, since it would be the first one I have EVER seen which was not either 1/4" or the new standard hose thread.

locus123

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't place a bet on it, but I tried 1/4" and it was too small, and 3/8" was too big. I called a guy at an appliance parts store and he said they have e 5/16"x1/4" pushon reducer for icemaker/fridge lines (and that most of those lines are 5/16"). I'm trying to confirm with Kitchenaid themselves, but getting ahold of them is difficult.

Alternatively, I guess it could be 8mm???

What's the "new standard hose thread"?

locus123

Reaction score
This is what used to be on the end of the fridge line (don't ask me why my plumber cut it off), but if you know what kind of line that is, I'd be grateful!

The threaded end was 1/4", but the line itself is unknown (and definitely not 1/4")

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 517

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Off hand, I would say that it is the connection beteen the manufacturer's piping, (which could be anything they wanted to use since the customer is not supposed to do anything to it), and how they intended for you to make your connection. The bottom of the fitting LOOKS like it is a 1/4" compression thread, which is where you were supposed to make the connection. If this is so, then someone "screwed up" by cutting it off and you do need a 5/16 x1/4 coupling of some type, compression or push-on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumber cut the fitting off? I'm with hj on this, the fitting that got cut off was a compression thread for 1/4"
If you take the fitting down to the hardware store, you will find that it threads onto a icemaker line with 1/4" compression ends.
You never cut any piping on the frig, that could be any size.
You will have to contact the maker of your appliance and have them send out the right part, you know, the part your plumber cut off.
This is serious stuff too, if you Mickey Mouse the connection, you can come home to a flooded home costing you tens of thousands of dollars.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ahhh you should have listened to Redwood on that other forum before You cut it off...

locus123

Reaction score
I am my plumber, and I listened to someone else's advice (which is usually very sound) - hence my predicament. Can't win 'em all.... The appliance store has what I need, and the lesson is well learned. Thanks for the assistance.

Yes Redwood, you were right. (I feel like a child, I didn't want to get yelled at) :)

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
:D I saw it to late to yell Noooooo...
You are right usually his advice is good...
I don't know what happened there but we read it the same...

Does that fitting come apart you may just need a ferrule?
In any case it needs to get back on the tube so you can get the line on...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That probably is a compression fitting, but you'd need a special tool to compress it. I don't think the two pieces unscrew, my guess is that those slots allow the fitting to flex just enough to put compression on the connection. If you could get it apart and devise something to squeeze it back together, you might be able to reuse it, but I think you'd need to pry the two sections apart. The bottom part probably fits into the tubing, and the other part is slid down until seated which squeezes over it to then clamp it all together.

locus123

Reaction score
I tried to take it apart and had no luck - tomorrow I might try a bit harder, but the appliance parts store sells a 5/16"x1/4" push on fitting specifically for fridge lines. I may just put my tail between my legs and go buy it instead before my wife starts physically abusing me. I emailed Dahl to see if they make anything that might attach directly to the 5/16" line (similar to what I described in the first post of this thread). I'm not too hopeful there though, 5/16" is an odd size. I think they should make one and sell it to the appliance companies - no more saddle valves needed!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How would you get from the "5/16 valve" to the refrigerator, (since you would still have to find a way to connect to the reefer's line), unless you intended to put the valve ON the refrigerator's cut off line. If you think finding a 5/16 fitting is hard, try to find 5/16 tubing. WHY did you cut it off in the first place?

Dahlman

VP at Dahl Brothers Canada Limited
Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
I tried to take it apart and had no luck - tomorrow I might try a bit harder, but the appliance parts store sells a 5/16"x1/4" push on fitting specifically for fridge lines. I may just put my tail between my legs and go buy it instead before my wife starts physically abusing me. I emailed Dahl to see if they make anything that might attach directly to the 5/16" line (similar to what I described in the first post of this thread). I'm not too hopeful there though, 5/16" is an odd size. I think they should make one and sell it to the appliance companies - no more saddle valves needed!

This is a very odd size but it would be interesting to learn more about this. Once you get through this and get your fridge working again, can you send us some pics of the hook-up on the back of your fridge and what you learned from the appliance people?

Thanks!
Thomas

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd guess that they used a hydraulic press to make that connection at the factory. It may have been designed by or for them. The other end, probably buried in the frig somewhere, may have a similar piece, and thus, you may not be able to buy a replacement line. Your best bet may be to call the manufacturer, explain what happened, and see if they have any suggestions. I'm sure, somewhere along the line, that part has been damaged and needed to be replaced by others. The replacement may be expensive, or easy and cheap...they may be able to help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The way the factory would handle the problem would be to sell you a complete new "harness", (NOT a new end), and you would disassemble the refrigerator to install it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks