How strong are well supply line splices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lorenzom

Reaction score
I have three questions below; I’d welcome comments to all of them. Thank you!

I recently had work done on my well and the installer repaired the blue poly tubing. He used a brass fitting (the kind with barbed male ends) and hose clamps. I watched him do it and it seemed like the repair was strong, the clamps just tight enough, so overall, a job well done. My well is 6 inches wide, and 505 feet deep, and the supply line goes down about 350 feet. The repair was made at about 200 feet from the pump (150 from the top of the well).

Afterwards, I got to thinking that this might be a point of failure in the future. If it disconnected, I would have a pump with 200 feet of supply line at the bottom of my well.

1 - How likely is it that the hose disconnects at this point?
2 - Assuming it did, would there be any way to grab the top of the hose (about 300 feet below ground) and pull it up?
3 - If this thing could not be pulled up, is it likely I could insert a new pump in the same well, or would I be looking at needing a new well?

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
More than likely it will hold, however if it doesn't it is possible to fish it out. Perhaps if you are concerned you may want to bring it up and put a rope or small cable on it for ease of mind.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
To be comfortable about the splice, a LONG special order barb would be best, the pipe heated with hot water and held with 4 or 6 clamps of domestic origin, preferably with a torque rating [graingers] and then retorqued about an hour later before setting.

At that depth, I would have sprung for new pipe and used the other elsewhere. HOW did the pipe fail is a pretty key question too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks