Do I need a plumber or an exorcist?

Users who are viewing this thread

cdlogan

Reaction score
Problem began in the downstairs laundry room. When washing machine drained, there was some backup and overflow from it's standpipe and backup into the toilet next to it. I flushed the washing machine drain with a pressure nozzle and all was well for about a month. The problem returned, with water now also backing up into and from around the base of the toilet. I removed the toilet, wax ring obviously needed replaced, and while it was removed, I ran a hand auger though the sewer line thinking I might get the line opened while I had easy access. With a 50' auger, I can easily feed about 20 feet into the sewer line before hitting a very solid obstruction. I suspect this may be the "T" with the main line in the garage, based on the 20' distance. No debris or evidence of material on the auger when it's removed from the line. I've also ran the full 50' of cable from the cleanout in the garage towards the street, again with no resistance at all. Other than the solid obstruction not being the "T", but actually some mega-clog, is there anything I've overlooked? I should add that there is a floor drain, also in the laundry room, that does not back up and drains freely if water is poured into it.

Gaining much respect for plumbers,
Chuck

cdlogan

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
your main line is stopped up.....thats all

cost you aboout $175.00

very simple and cheaper to jsut let some one
do it for you

Thanks, Mark. A couple years ago I had one of the 'professional' rooter guys come out for the same floor drain mentioned above. In the process of cleaning it, they managed to heavily dent and chip the paint on the front of the washer that was new at the time, and a short in their super rooter machine (I thought everybody knew water+electricity=bad things) blew the the breaker and did some minor wiring damage to the outlet it was plugged into. Between digital cameras and girlfriends that are lawyers, it all got resolved, but was a major, time consuming pain, thus my attempt at giving it a go on my own before rolling the dice again.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No offense intended, but perhaps you should get a licensed and bonded plumber to do the job. Sometimes, not always, a rooter serviceman really doesn't have that much plumbing experience. Anyone can buy a van and auger and call himself a professional. I think you have found out that a hand auger isn't enough to do the job, and it can even make the clog worse.

cdlogan

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
No offense intended, but perhaps you should get a licensed and bonded plumber to do the job. Sometimes, not always, a rooter serviceman really doesn't have that much plumbing experience. Anyone can buy a van and auger and call himself a professional. I think you have found out that a hand auger isn't enough to do the job, and it can even make the clog worse.
No offense taken. The previous incident was with a licenced local plumbing contractor that had been running many TV commercials on their "better and cheaper than Roto-Rooter" drain cleaning. The drain cleaning worked great, even with the water hose in the electric motor episode. Getting them to stand behind the colateral damage was a little more involved. The moral I learned is that "Licenced and Bonded" doesn't necessarily mean honest or competent.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
draid

Just out of curiosity, where does the floor drain go? Out over the hill? Or sump pump?

cdlogan

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
Just out of curiosity, where does the floor drain go? Out over the hill? Or sump pump?
Straight on out. The 50 year old faded plans to this house make it look like the sink and washer drain into the sewer line, that is the line from the toilet, and the floor drain has it's own line running diagonally out to the main, t'ing in about 20 feet below where the toilet/sink/washer line meets the main. These plans have been proven drastically different than what's really here in many different areas however.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No offense taken. The previous incident was with a licenced local plumbing contractor that had been running many TV commercials on their "better and cheaper than Roto-Rooter" drain cleaning. The drain cleaning worked great, even with the water hose in the electric motor episode. Getting them to stand behind the colateral damage was a little more involved. The moral I learned is that "Licenced and Bonded" doesn't necessarily mean honest or competent.

Being "Better and cheaper than Roto-Rooter" does not take much. Maybe you should also have checked to see if they were "insured" besides being licensed and bonded. Why would they have a hose in the house? Using a "water balloon" in the washer drain should have compounded your problem, not fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks