replacing Moen bath/shower trim

Users who are viewing this thread

CentralTXPreacher

Reaction score
First of all forgive me if I am not using the correct terminology when dealing with this. I'm a preacher and not a plumber!

I am looking to replace the Moen bath/shower trim I now have (showerhead, arm, flange, escutcheon, handle and tub spout). We want to change everything to brushed nickel. I have a standard valve and only chrome comes in the standard valve. I was told I needed to get the moentrol and an adapter that would "retrofit" the moentrol to the standard adapter.

Has anyone done this and did it work okay? Also did you have to get the valve with the trim. Seems like a waste to get the valve when it isn't going to be used. Due to cost I don't want to replace the valve.

Hopefully this all made sense.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CentralTxPreacher

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The cost of the valve is often small compared to the trim! I recently replaced my mother's tub/shower fixture. The rough-in valve was about $40, the trim was $160. This was a Delta (they also have a very wide range of prices and styles). On Delta, at least the version I bought, the cartridge comes with the trim. From a practical viewpoint, though, a new valve body means possibly a plumber, so yes, it does cost a lot to change out verses just changing the trim.

If you can identify the valve you actually have, Moen can help you figure out what will fit. A picture of the valve and trim could help those here. Depending on exactly what you have, you may or may not be able to just replace the trim - they have more than one valve, and the trims are generally not interchangeable between dissimilar models and definately not between brands.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moen 145058 lets you use the new Posi-Temp trims. You don't need to buy the valve.

Attachments

• moen_145058.jpg
    moen_145058.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,486

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moentrol and Dialcet, use the same trim. The difference between your faucet and a new one, however could be HOW the two holes are arranged. The older ones have them both at the bottom, while the new ones have them diagonal from each other. There is an adapter, however, that lets you use the new trim with the old valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks