House Re-Plumbing Project

Users who are viewing this thread

rckowal

Reaction score
I have to replace the galvanized potable water plumbing in a residential home. I'm considering plastics - both PEX or PVC (CPVC). Although this is a DIY project, I have previously installed a plastic lawn sprinkler system as well as sweated copper & (cold water) PVC. Since I'm a retired Plastics Engineer with more than 30 years experience doing DIY home maintenance/remodeling projects, I have pretty good "hands-on" skills, the tools & understanding of such projects.

I would like recommendations from the experts on this forum regarding what system to use - PEX or PVC? It appears that new home construction is using mostly PEX so that looks like a good candidate. But I wouldn't rule out PVC if the forum thinks it would be a better choice.

A possible issue that bothers me about PEX is the Class Action Lawsuits involving Zurn brass fittings. I'm considering Zurn because it's readily available & priced right at Lowe's. If there are other preferred fitting systems, which is best? Although lower cost is nice, I prefer quality over cost.

Your replies will be very much appreciated.

Best regards, Richard

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Read up on the different generic versions of pex (A, B, and C). Each version uses a different method to create the cross-links that make the stuff work. Pex-a is the most expensive, normally, but is also the only one where you can repair a kink without cutting it out and using a fitting, and it can do that because of the way it is made and the extent of the cross-linking. Pex-a is also the most flexible and can be bent into the smallest radius of the three types (-c is the stiffest). Uphonor (Wirsbo) advocates an expansion system that does not use crimp rings. They rely on the memory properties to expand the tubing, slide in a (larger diameter than crimp to provide less restriction) fitting, then let the tubing collapse onto the fitting to make the seal on the fitting's ribs. The tool is the expensive part, but you may be able to rent or buy then sell or pick up a used one. If you don't get the powered one, you'll build up your hand strength!

Pex has a smaller ID than CPVC or copper. So, you may want larger lines to provide similar flow. With today's low-flow fixture requirements, it may not be a big issue, but things like hose bibs, tub fillers, etc are still (essentially) unrestricted and can use the higher flow of a larger pipe.

CPVC tends to get brittle as it ages. That may not be a big issue, but it could be. Pex can look sloppy because it is floppy, but having fewer joints can be a really comforting thing; just protect (any) pipe from rubbing against sharp objects. Neither pex nor CPVC like nails or screws! Use nail plates!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
PVC is not legal for indoor use.

CPVC is legal.

I've been using Uponor (Wirsbo) for years, and there are other good brands too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
CPVC and PEX are essentially the same size, so that is NOT a consideration when you make your choice. CPVC is an "insert the pipe into the fitting" system, (which is the reverse of PEX), so the fittings are NOT causing an additional reduction in the flow/volume of the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks