Bath/Shower Luminaires

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
680.43 Indoor Installations.

(B) Installation of Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures), Lighting Outlets, and Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle)
Fans.

(1) Elevation. Luminaires (lighting fixtures), except as covered in 680.43(B)(2), lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans located over the spa or hot tub or within 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub shall comply with the clearances specified in (a), (b), and (c) above the maximum water level.

(a) Without GFCI. Where no GFCI protection is provided, the mounting height shall be not less than 3.7 m (12 ft).

(b) With GFCI. Where GFCI protection is provided, the mounting height shall be permitted to be not less than 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.).

(c) Below 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.). Luminaires (lighting fixtures) meeting the requirements of item (1) or

(2) and protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be permitted to be installed less than 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.) over a spa or hot tub.

(1) Recessed luminaires (fixtures) with a glass or plastic lens, nonmetallic or electrically isolated metal trim, and suitable for use in damp locations

(2) Surface-mounted luminaires (fixtures) with a glass or plastic globe, a nonmetallic body, or a metallic body isolated from contact, and suitable for use in damp locations

I need a Philadelphia lawyer to explain to me if it is permissable to mount a surface mount damp location rated luminaire over a tub/shower stall (8' ceiling) GFIC protected?

Does the fixture (glass lens- metal retaining ring, not sure if isolated from fixture itself) need to be DAMP RATED and/or WET RATED?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Luminaires installed in/over a tub/shower need to be rated for WET locations if they are "subject to shower spray". You have posted the section of the NEC dealing with spas/hot tubs, which is not the same
as tub/shower installations. Check out NEC article 410.4.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Just ignore him he ain't no Philadelphia lawyer he is from Washington although I do agree with him but what do i know i am from NC

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
Luminaires installed in/over a tub/shower need to be rated for WET locations if they are "subject to shower spray".

You have posted the section of the NEC dealing with spas/hot tubs, which is not the same
as tub/shower installations.

Check out NEC article 410.4.

THANX for the reply and I shall... :cool:

Trying to find a suitable surface mount as it is a fire ceiling.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Holy blowtorch, batman! When you think plumbing and electrical codes are obscure...just start into fire codes! NFPA 70, 101, the list goes on as the eyes glaze over.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks