Eastern Europe W.C. Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Budapestorbust

Reaction score
So I'm in Hungary try to remodel a 200 year old apartment. I have barely any tools and the toilet is leaking..............
Here is the toilet. Its leaking at the base (that is a mat in the picture and not the floor. The floor is tile.)
The toilet is leaking after flushing. and it rocks a ton.

By flushing I mean turning the valve handle mounted above the bowl. Its a custom variable flushing toilet. Suck it Toto.

In summary-
Need to anchor the toilet and stop the leaking.
Should I be able to use a wax ring and bolt it down? Why is it not bolted now? How can I take this apart? Anyone ever seen this? Why did I follow my girlfriend here?

Thank You!

Attachments

• Random and Budapest Step 1 072.jpg
    Random and Budapest Step 1 072.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Random and Budapest Step 1 073.jpg
    Random and Budapest Step 1 073.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 392
  • Random and Budapest Step 1 075.jpg
    Random and Budapest Step 1 075.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 368
  • Random and Budapest Step 1 070.jpg
    Random and Budapest Step 1 070.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 365

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The picture isn't real sharp, are there no hold down bolts?
Normally we would have brass bolts into a ring attached to the concrete or tile, and then a washer and nut the secure it.
If the bowl was rocking, it would need to be shimmed. A rocking toilet needs to be secured, or the wax seal will leak, assuming they seal with wax there, and not some sort of rubber seal.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I know that toilet well! Every "rabbit hutch" soviet built [designed-inspired] apartment [Panelok's] from the Bering strait to East germany had that crapper with the shelf [NO water in the bowl]

Its a huge joke over there, these toilets, they assume the designers wanted you to have a chance to inspect, dissect and possibly save your output for further investigation. You need a big Cuban cigar to keep from killing the rest of the little apartments residents, although each toilet cabinet [about a meter square] was provided a vent to a chamber that ran from the basement all the way to the roof. When you got a nice downdraft, you might pass out on the crapper.

Wall hung tanks on many gave a fantastic flush and washed your privates too. They would embarass a toto and flush 2000 grams of rocks covered with pepper.

Most had the old style wooden handle on a rope right at the side and you would flush a bit with each squeeze to keep down the odors. Looked to me that they [or some] were mudded in and sealed to the pipe with some sort of tar/ oakum packing. Never had the pleasure to pull one. And like the trabants, most are in the landfill now. Probably a 6 to 10 gallon flush after a big night at the sausage and beer hall. BUT, really these could be fantastically efficent toilets, as you controlled the flush and a careful guy could clean the bowl with a few ounces of water. Many basically had a hose bib for the flush mechanism - nothing to break at all. So we have something to learn from this crapper too.

Most packaging for a kids toy is heavier than those old communist toilet seats.

Rip it out and go to Baumax [the Lowes of europe] and get a nice German or Slovak made new one. And why did you follow your girlfriend there? .... For the same reason as myself I suppose, but thats a very different forum altogether. Terry would have a delete festival with that explanation.

Bring her here, and buy a nice cottage in the country for 5,000$ as I did and go there for vacations. But do not forget to flush one of those - source of a lot of domestic violence.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks