Help!! How do I connect the overflow and drain assy to my new kohler tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott_V

Reaction score
Once I set the new tub (Kohler Villager) in place I have virtually no access to the overflow and tub drain assy. How do I connect these without cutting a hole in the wet wall and accessing from the adjacent room? I must be missing something obvious?? Or, is this a near impossible task without cutting into the wall to gain access to the plumbing connections?

Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
We install the waste and overflow first then drop the tub onto it. It take some very precise measuring.

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
johnjh has pretty well summed it up. Empahsis on VERY careful measurements.

Is the wall in that bathroom above the tub still open? About the only thing you can access is necessary is the actual overflow tube by reaching down behind the tub...but not much!

take your measurements, assemble the W/O in its final insalled position. Then drop the tub in for a looksee. You may have the tub in and out a couple of times to get it right.

Scott_V

Reaction score
Guys, I like your idea of installing the waste and overflow first, , and then installing the tub. The problem is that we're installing a 60" 316 lb cast iron tub in a 61" alcove....not an easy task to pull and reset the tub if we need to adjust the wast/overflow alignment. I think I may have a solution: it's a left hand drain tub and the right side wall has a large closet behind it. If I cut out 2 studs and a couple sq ft of drywall I can create an opening through which I can easily slide the tub in and out of in order to make any necessary drain alignment correctons. and since the opening would be in the back of a closet, I could simply cover it with an access door for future use.

I've installed this type of tub in the past in new construction and have had easy outside access to the plumbing through the opened wet wall. This is my first attempt at a remodel and to complicate matters the wet wall is shared with another shower (yep, back-to-back showers). And, the back wall of the tub alcove is the common townhouse wall and I just don't have the nerve to ask the neighbor if I can rip a hole in their living room wall to acces my plumbing :).

Anyways, thanks for the advice...very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks