Load Bearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
How can I determine if I have have a load bearing wall in my house? I have a split entry home. I want to remove the 12 foot wall between my kitchen and living room on the top floor. Would it soley be based on the type of roof trusses that I have

I don't know the differences between them so I'll just post a picture of the attic.

The trusses are running perpendicular to the wall I hope to remove. And that wall runs almost centred down the house.

Attachments

• IMG00268.jpg
    IMG00268.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,420
  • IMG00267.jpg
    IMG00267.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,966
  • IMG00266.jpg
    IMG00266.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,106

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Is the wall directly under the ridge of the roof?

Does the wall you want to remove run from one end of the home to the other with only doorways splitting it up?

The best way to tell for sure is to pull some drywall and if there are headers over the doorways and a double top plate then it's definitely load bearing.

Is there a wall in the basement or a beam that sits directly under the wall you'd like to remove?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Based on what I can see, it's likely that is a load bearing wall. As said, if it lines up (or is close) to the center, it probably is. Tear off some sheetrock as indicated, or talk to a structural engineer. I had a similar problem, and got one to come out and render an opinion on a problem and he only charged me $100. He didn't have to travel far, so that made a difference. You may not be as lucky.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Based on what I can see, it's likely that is a load bearing wall. As said, if it lines up (or is close) to the center, it probably is. Tear off some sheetrock as indicated, or talk to a structural engineer. I had a similar problem, and got one to come out and render an opinion on a problem and he only charged me $100. He didn't have to travel far, so that made a difference. You may not be as lucky.

With more pictures I bet we can determine that it is definitely load bearing, at that point hiring an engineer might be a good idea and he/she can help you open the house up with a beam if you so desire.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
It is in the centre of the house for the most part. Front room is 12' from front to back and the kitchen is 11'. So that's pretty damn close to centre. Along this wall (it travels the entire span of the home) there are three doorways and a closet.

Somebody told me that if you had pre-enginered trusses that the wouldn't be a load bearing wall on the top floor of the house, only in the basement level. If I had to put a header in there and post at the end I wouldn't mind but I'd love to just have an open room totally.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The somebody who told you that doesn't know what spec your trusses we're engineered to.

What is the span (perpendicular to the wall in question) of the trusses?

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
The span would be the entire house front to back appx 24'. The span after the wall is removed (from left to right) will be a 15' opening.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Okay, and below the wall in question (assuming you have a basement or floor below) is there a beam or wall there too? Or a pony wall in a crawl space even.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a wall below it that spans the whole house also. It is about 6" off of being directly below.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm fairly confident that you do in fact have a load bearing wall, you will need to get an engineer involved to decide what size of beam you require to replace it...

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Damn I got excited when I walked into a house the other day and the guy ripped down a pile of walls and said it was cool cause his roof trusses could support it.

I'll have to get an enginer to check it out.
Thanks for you quick responses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks