(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kinetico alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Unless the tank is going to be on the north side of the house, the water held in the tank will be VERY hot by mid-afternoon, if not sooner for probably at least half of the year in Tucson. Your cold water could get hot enough to scald you. I'd guess that super hot water would mess with the salt dose, too. You sure you really want it outside?

I've said this before, but it demonstates my thought: I lived in Kuwait for awhile. Our water was stored in a large white fiberglass tank on the roof. That water got so hot, we used it for hot for about 8-months out of the year, shut the WH off, so we had a supply of cooler water, and god help you if you ran out of 'cold' in the WH, as then you had hot and hot. Luckily for us, the WH was quite large (cheap energy), and the place air conditioned so the water, even with the tank's insulation, cooled off eventually. You had to warn visitors to get cold, use the hot valve, and hot from the cold side. It got more confusing in the winter when it went back, or the knee seasons, when you didn't know which way to go.
    Only the brine tank would get hot though, right? I guess there's some water in with the beads, but that can be flushed out relatively quickly I'd expect. In any case, it's just the way they do it here, not my choice. It's pre-plumbed, and there's no place to put it inside anyway.

You can get reflective foil covers for it.
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

A slat type sun screen shade works very well and looks nice. It can be free standing along the house as opposed to being attached to the house.

The temp of the brine water isn't a concern because regeneration of a regular softener happens at like 2 AM when air temp has cooled. With a twin tank they regenerate at all times of the day when you are using water so the brine water temp would be much warmer. The water in the resin tank, varying from a few to maybe 7-9+ gals will be warm until you run it all out and if you are on 'city' water, IMO that's too much to run to drain to get cooler water.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

You guys make it sound like it's not realistically possible to have an outdoor softener, even though people do it all the time around here. The plumbing is on the north side of the house, maybe that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    You guys make it sound like it's not realistically possible to have an outdoor softener, even though people do it all the time around here. The plumbing is on the north side of the house, maybe that's enough.
    I have a hundred+/- customers with softeners outside from Puerto Rico to Miami to San Diego to Sacramento. Outdoors is not the norm, to do it right you should follow the advice you've been given although it isn't what you were looking for initially. And since now we know the softener goes on the north side which shades the unit, keep rain off it and it and you will be fine.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Installing outside IS typical in your area. I have seen many that are semi buried for any number of reasons. A reconditioned/rebuilt Kinetico can be available for between $1200 and $1800 depending on your hardness. What were your water test results? It can easily be done if you have basic plumbing skills.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As I said, if on the north side, it will probably be fine, although air temps in the shade can still easily get over 100-degrees in Tucson. I've lived in the desert, and you just don't expect cold water out of the tap most times of the year unless you can run it for a long time, but an above ground tank makes it worse.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Hell no, they are outside all over the south. You also see water heaters and water pumps sitting in the garage.
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Quote Originally Posted by big dripper View Post
    Installing outside IS typical in your area. I have seen many that are semi buried for any number of reasons. A reconditioned/rebuilt Kinetico can be available for between $1200 and $1800 depending on your hardness. What were your water test results? It can easily be done if you have basic plumbing skills.
    Where do I go for a reconditioned unit? Dealer still? We had a Kinetico at our old house and we liked it, but I also like the idea of being able to do my own maintenance and repairs. The Kinetico guy tested out water but I'm blanking on the details. It was like "10", but I don't know what scale that's on. Does that make sense?

Where do I go for a reconditioned unit? Dealer still? We had a Kinetico at our old house and we liked it, but I also like the idea of being able to do my own maintenance and repairs. The Kinetico guy tested out water but I'm blanking on the details. It was like "10", but I don't know what scale that's on. Does that make sense?
    Well, it could be 10 grains per gallon, but other results would be needed as well. Well/city? iron, TDS, etc. Getting one should not be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by big dripper View Post
    Well, it could be 10 grains per gallon, but other results would be needed as well. Well/city? iron, TDS, etc. Getting one should not be difficult.
    City water. I got the impression that the guy did the measurements and asked questions, but in the end he had one unit to sell anyway. Maybe I misunderstood. If I could find a Kinetico for $1200 right now, I'd buy one. Just don't know where to go.

There are some sites that we know, seen the adds on TV over the years...

There is a list site that has one in Mesa..

This is a little off-topic, but wouldn't an on-demand system (Fleck 5600 SXT) with only one tank virtually guarantee that it would try to regenerate in the middle of a shower or load of laundry, thus passing through hard water? Or am I missing something?

If you set up a 5600 SXT to clean when the gallons is up , yes it would clean or regen when water is getting used. The only time that I set up either the 5600 SXT or 2510 SXT to clean when gallons are up is when that unit is feeding a 300 + gallon holding tank, mainly because the well is only doing 2gpm and that is where the backwash is set , so well is happy, and tank is happy and the softener is happy..

Did you find the unit in Mesa?

What else does an on-demand meter do? Do you just use it like a timer?

No, I didn't find the Mesa one.