Should I trash or save this assembly?

Users who are viewing this thread

cmw

Reaction score
I replaced a leaking Saddle Valve that hooked up my water filter with this Tee assembly.
The pipe is temporarily capped on top prior to hooking up a new kitchen faucet.
The pex tube connection is good.
I'm worried about the other (2) Tee connections. I had to really crank these (2) connections to stop the drips and I'm worried that this assembly. being under the sink in the back, will get banged into and tweak one of those connections causing it to leak.
My question is: is this the best way to do this hookup , if not, then what is ???

Attachments

• DSC00692.jpg
    DSC00692.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 389

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the soft tubing wasn't quite round, it could take a bit to reform it to seal. If it was way out, you wouldn't have been able to get the compression ring on, though. Did you use the internal reinforcement sleeve on the pex? If not, they you are just compressing onto the flexible plastic...it needs support underneath via the sleeve insert to make a reliable seal. Sometimes the threads aren't nice and clean, and the nut binds. Also, if you don't use two wrenches (one on the fitting, the second on the nut), you can mess things up making it difficult to seal. If the thing binds, a drop of oil or a dab of PTFE pipe dope on the threads makes snugging up smoother.

cmw

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
However, as I stated above "the pex tube connection is good".
It is the other (2) connections on the Tee that I'm worried about. Because the copper tubes aren't straight there will be a torquing force induced on the copper tube fittings from containers being moved around under the counter hitting the pipe and over time could loosen them up.
I'm thinking I should install a sweat tee in place of the tee with the screw thread fittings. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If you are going to learn to sweat, get rid of the lot and install a three-way quarter turn angle stop. That will give you everything you need. Do you have copper pipe or is that galvanized I see below it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A compression fitting on pex without the required internal reinforcement sleeve IS more likely to come loose than the copper lines.

If the sink supply line will reach a shutoff screwed to that stub, that's a good idea.

cmw

Reaction score
Copper pipe with shutoff valve below.
Why not a 3/8 tee and and a fitting added on the horizontal leg for the Pex?
The fitting at the top of the pipe will mate to a stainless flex cable from the new faucet.
The Pex goes to a water filter only.
I need the Pex and the copper pipe open all the time to supply the faucet & water filter as needed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dahlmann; If he used an ELBOW, then there is no way he could continue the pipe to the faucet. Get a Brasscraft "Add-a-Tee" which fastens DIRECTLy to the female adapter, has a 3/8" side outlet for your PEX, and then the faucet's flex hose will attach to the top of it.

Last edited:

Dahlman

VP at Dahl Brothers Canada Limited
Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
Dahlmann; If he used an ELBOW, then there is no way he could continue the pipe to the faucet. Get a Brasscraft "Add-a-Tee" which fastens DIRECTLy to the female adapter, has a 3/8" side outlet for your PEX, and then the faucet's flex hose will attach to the top of it.

Oops - you are absolutely correct, hj. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. :eek:

Correct me if I'm wrong again...but isn't that 1/2" PEX on the branch? Ideally, I would install a dual shut-off stop (or stops with a tee) that is configured 1/2 Male NPT X 3/8 OD Comp X 1/2 PEX Crimp so that both the faucet & branch can be isolated in future for service. This would enable the faucet outlet to be capped & isolated now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears to be 3/8" PEX, but could be 1/4", since it looks like a bit smaller o.d. than the copper tubing. There are a lot of ways it COULD be reconfigured, but given how it is now, the Add-a-Tee would be the simplest to keep it that way.

Last edited:

Dahlman

VP at Dahl Brothers Canada Limited
Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
It appears to be 3/8" PEX, but could be 1/4", since it looks like a bit smaller o.d. than the copper tubing. There are a lot of ways it COULD be reconfigured, but given how it is now, the Add-a-Tee would be the simplest to keep it that way.

I'm with hj on this - the Add-a-Tee is probably the quickest & easiest way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks